chapter eight: lightning

It was early in the evening on the following Thursday, and Sam was sat cross-legged in the floor of his bedroom reading when a single knock on his door grabbed his attention

It was early in the evening on the following Thursday, and Sam was sat cross-legged in the floor of his bedroom reading when a single knock on his door grabbed his attention. The door creaked open, and Jake poked his head through, his eyes shining in that way that they always did when he was about to ask Sam for a favor.

"Hey..." He smiled, blinking several times.

"Hey...?" Sam stared blankly back at him. Jake pushed the door open and walked the rest of the way into the room, perching himself on Sam's bed.

"Do you wanna go somewhere with me tonight?" Jake kept blinking, and the way he was smiling too much was starting to make Sam uneasy.

"Um, where?" Sam dogeared the page he was on in his book and put it aside, raising an eyebrow at his big brother.

"Detroit..."

"Like to the studio?" Sam's expression morphed into confusion, unsure of why Jake would be acting so strange about a trip to the studio.

"No, to a bar." Jake plastered a toothy grin on his face as he twiddled his fingers.

"Uh... what's wrong with the bars here? Besides, I can't, I'll get carded... why don't you take Josh or one of your high school friends or something?" Sam picked his book back up, figuring that would be the end of the conversation, but Jake continued.

"Josh is out somewhere... and it's not just any bar, it's the bar I was supposed to meet Ericka at for our date, remember? There's someone singing there tonight that I want to go hear. They'll let you in, you'll just get marked as underaged, come on Sammy, please?" Jake flopped his head sideways. Sam scratched his head as he thought, really not feeling up to going all the way to the city when they had less and less time just hanging out at home these days. He chewed on the inside of his cheek, looking down at his book before lifting his eyes back up to Jake and sighing.

"Fine. I'll tag along, but you owe me." Sam breathed. Jake's entire face lit up with a grin, and he jumped up off of the bed.

"Deal. Can you be ready in thirty minutes?" Jake's eyebrows raised. Sam nodded, and Jake smiled harder, "Thank you, I love you..." Jake clapped his hands to either side of Sam's head and kissed the top of his hair emphatically before striding out of the room.

"Yeah, yeah." Sam waved him off and smoothed his hair back down as Jake left. He pulled himself off the floor and dug around in a pile of clean clothes he had yet to put away for something to wear. Deciding on a pair of black skinny jeans and a thin jean button up, he jumped in the shower quickly and changed into the outfit in just enough time before Jake was calling his name from across the house.

"Sam, let's go!" Jake called again as he grabbed his car keys from a hook near the front door. He was dressed in all black, his shirt partially unbuttoned and tucked into his jeans, and he wore his favorite Chelsea boots that were beginning to bear holes in their bottoms.