chapter sixteen: spoiled surprises

It was the day before Christmas Eve that Avery finished writing the last song for her EP

It was the day before Christmas Eve that Avery finished writing the last song for her EP. She was at the Kiszkas', perched on the end of Jake's bed with his acoustic. Jake was on the floor plucking at a mandolin, and Sam was laid fully across the bed beside Avery, his head hanging off the side so that his hair hung down in a curtain towards the floor. Avery had made an offhanded comment about how she had written more of her EP on Jake's guitar than her own, and Sam had offered that there was a song in that statement somewhere... Thus, the last song of her EP emerged, and ironically enough, it was about Jake's guitar. She liked that no one besides the three of them would know it was about his guitar... or really about him in a roundabout way. It was like a little secret they now shared, and that made Avery feel like she was part of something.

"What are you smiling about?" Jake brought Avery out of her thoughts, looking up at her with a crooked grin. She hadn't even realized she was smiling.

"It's finally done... my first project is officially fully written..." Avery's eyes were dreamy, and she had this whimsical look about her. Jake opened his mouth to respond, but was cut off by Sam suddenly pulling himself to an upright position.

"Which means... Jake can finally give you your present!" Sam grinned. Jake grimaced, squeezing his eyes shut and dropping his forehead into his hand with a groan.

"Samuel..."

"What? Oh, fuck, was I not supposed to say anything?" Sam's eyes grew wide. Jake half chuckled, rubbing his fingertips into his forehead.

"No, you shithead... this is what happens when you lay upside down like that, all the blood rushes to your brain and makes you say stupid things..." Jake rolled his eyes with a grin.

"Sorry..." Sam scrunched his shoulders down and smiled sheepishly.

"A present?" Avery, amused by the exchange, jutted her chin forward and narrowed her eyes playfully. Jake dropped his head back against the wall.

"I was going to tell you the news for Christmas if your EP was written by then..." Jake shot a look at Sam, who laughed nervously and flopped his head over onto Avery's shoulder, "... but, I guess-"

"No! Don't spoil it!!" Avery shouted, propping Jake's guitar on the floor against the bed.

"Well, Sam's already-"

"No! I'm not listening... la la la..." Avery quickly plugged her ears with her fingers. One important thing to note about Avery Elliott is that she loved surprises and hated when they were spoiled.

"Okay, okay! I'll wait for Christmas!" Jake laughed, shouting over Avery's loud singing. Sam pulled her hands away from her ears.

"You told Avery about the tour?" All heads snapped towards Jake's open bedroom door where Josh had just waltzed in, misreading the chaos. He stopped short when he noticed all of their wide eyes.