3

The next day Gillion was alone again.
Jay long brought back to her own cell.
He didn't expect anyone to come see him, when someone walked up to the bars.
Arms behind his back stood an old triton, weathered by the sea and after a moment he said: "I never expected to see you again, young Tidestrider. When the captain told me his plan, I found it to be impossible... But here you are."

Gillion tilted his head to the side, the voice so familiar and then the man smiled and the memory of one of these rare weekends in his grandfather's study. Where he was allowed to be a child and play and scream and cry and laugh as loud as he wanted.
He rushed towards the bars and reached through them to hug him. "Grandpipa", he sobbed, unable to hold back his smile. One of the bars pressed uncomfortably against his ribs, another against his collarbone as he tried to hold onto the man who gave him memories worth more then any treasure.

His grandpa chuckled, gently made him let go, before unlocking the cell to give him a proper hug. "I'm so happy to see you", he said and Gillion nodded as he held onto him.
"They never told me what happened to you. I thought you were dead", he cried and Finn patted his back. "No, not yet", he said and an smiled as he let go and put his hands on Gill's shoulders, looking at him with pride, "By the goddesses, you grew so much since I last saw you." "I was allowed a friend, grandpipa. You have to meet Jay! She is so smart, I'm sure you will enjoy talking to her!", Gillion quickly said, as if this had been his greatest accomplishment since they last met. Finns face filled with worry. "It upsets me, that you have been deprived of friendship for so long. That it was used for a treaty that is threaded with corruption." "The treaty, the peace is strong. It keeps us safe", Gillion argued, but Finn shook his head.
"You have much to learn. Much to see for an unbiased mind, young Tidestrider. I hope this time from home will open your eyes to the world the way it really is."

"I don't understand.", Gillion whispered and Finn gave him a soft smile. "You will. I'm sure it won't take long, until you do"
Gillions confusion, turned into some sort of calm. "I trust you." "How wonderful", Finn said and gestured for him to follow.
They walked out onto the deck, the smell of the sea filling the fresh air. The wind carried freedom as it weaved through Gill's hair.
The horizon was still tinted in the colors of sunrise as they moved towards land.
Gillion could help, but smile.

"This is where my heart has held me. Where it is truly happy.", Finn explained, "And judging by your smile, the sea will take your heart as well." "I have to return. The undersea needs it's king." "The undersea has it's gods, the titans. The natural system will take hold and bring peace in a way the crown can't. Royalty in blood never works in practice.", Finn said, "I never enjoyed watching them taking your choice away. Pushing and pulling on your mistakes and covering the bruises of the punishments they gave you when you didn't comply."

Gillion felt his throat tighten.
"You being here... I hope it will show you that you do have a choice." "I don't- I don't have a choice. When Eden left, my choices weren't mine anymore and they will never be again. My choice is that of the council, that of the crown, that of the people."
"And who says that?" "The elders."
"Are they here now?" "No" "Exactly", Finn smiled, "You now listen to your own heart and with everything you learn here, you will make the decision yourself, when the time comes. The decision of wanting to stay here or to return to the undersea."

Gillion stood quiet. He couldn't understand the freedom of choice this offered him.
"I wouldn't have supported this kidnapping, if it wasn't to do you any good", Finn said and Gill nodded slowly, "Do you even believe me, young Tidestrider?" "I do, grandpipa. I do, but this is just a lot all at once", Gill mumbled, "For now I'm just glad to have you back"
"And I'm very glad to have you here now."