Chapter 16

In everybody's half drunken state, the bomb Nicholas had dropped was forgotten quickly. People danced and drank, celebrating the year and the next few weeks of no work. Elmore and Nicholas sat together at the fire. "The nutcracker," Elmore started, "what is it?"

Nicholas pulled it out of his pocket and gently stroked its face with his thumb. "It was the only toy I had growing up. I had no idea where it went after I took power."

"So your father took it with him when he left?" Elmore asked.

"I know my father loved me. We had our differences, but he was always there. When his health started declining, he would have some days where he was fully lucid and himself, and others he would be angry and cold. I stopped visiting him as frequently near the end."

"You carry the nutcracker in his memory."

"I do. Elm— what is going on over there?"

Elmore turned to look at what Nicholas was referring to. Through the window of the workshop they could see people dancing. Fritz was dancing with her strange elf guy, Felix and Merry were dancing together, and Mr. Cranberry; who Nicholas was pointing at, was very very drunk. The pair watched in amused horror as Mr. Cranberry and Ms. Green shotgunned cans of some unknown drink and stomped the empty cans. Then they started dancing and jumping around like maniacs. Elmore laughed. "Should we join the party?"

Nicholas looked concerned. "I don't think so."

At that moment however, Ms. Green ran outside and grabbed Elmore by the hand. "Dance with me boy. I feel young again!" She pulled him inside.

Elmore was trapped in a crowd of jumping drunk elves. He was passed along from Ms. Green to Mr. Cranberry, and then was saved by Hermey before getting pulled back into the circle by Mr. Cranberry. They danced for a while, and then he was pushed into Noelle. They danced and chatted. "How are you liking your first Christmas party in the capital?" Elmore asked.

"I don't think Merry and Hermey are going to leave tomorrow. They're going to have a killer hangover." She replied.

"And you? Are you thinking of staying?" He asked.

The music slowed. "I'm not sure. It's amazing here, but if one of my friends didn't get transferred and I did I would feel horrible."

Elmore could understand that. "Well, I'm big on fairness, but I could talk to Nicholas for you. I would never tell him who to accept, but I could tell him the three of you are a package deal. If that's what you want of course."

Noelle smiled brightly and hugged him. He laughed at her excitement. "Thank you so much! You have no idea what that means to me. Remind me to tell Merry and Hermey later."

"I will. Speaking of those two, they seem to be having fun." Elmore said.

Noelle turned her head. Merry and Felix were drunkenly slow dancing to the music, and Hermey was slow dancing with Mr. Cranberry. "Do you think Hermey knows who he's dancing with?" She asked.

'Nope. But I don't think he would care. Mr. Cranberry is going to be mortified if he finds out." Elmore replied.

Noelle laughed. "Who's that women staring at Mr. Claus?" She asked.

Elmore turned to face Nicholas, who was looking directly at him through the window. "That's the doctor around here. She's got a crush."

"I think that would be cute. Santa and the workshop's doctor."

Elmore snorted unattractively. Noelle laughed at him. "Don't tell that to Nicholas. He isn't a fan of hers. Nobody around here is."

"Well she certainly doesn't think that's the case."