Chapter 12

Cris's POV:

Since the camping trip, everything has been great. School has been about the same other than Kenny hanging out with us more than his guy friends. There's times he would spend half his lunch with them and the other half with me. But other than that, it's great. Lilly jokes and teases us when we're around each other. She says I've never been so happy in my life since my father died when I was young.
When school was out, Kenny and I would hang out more than normal too. He'd drive us into town and take me out on silly dates. Mostly to the ice cream shop though, since that is my favorite place to go in town other than the shop.
One evening after school, Kenny had given Jenny the car to take home, so he could walk with Lilly and I to the shop. He'd carry me on his back like old times, making Lilly and me laugh every time he does something while walking or me messing with him while I was on his back. It was great.
Once we got to the shop, we went straight to the back all the way to the office. When Lilly opened the door to go in, we dead stopped in the middle of the door way. My mother was full on making out with Adrian's father. I just wanted to throw up right there and then.
I lost my grip of Kenny, sliding down his back and hit the floor hard making my mother and Adrian's father stop making out.

"Oh kids," my mother said blushing.
"Hello kids." The man said taking a few steps away from my mom.
"Hi," we all said at the same time.
"Honey you okay?" My mother asked me since I was still on the ground.
I looked down getting Kenny's attention. He leaned over and helped me up. "Yea, just great." I said dusting myself off.
"Wow look at the time," the man said looking at his watch. "I should get going. I have other errands to do."
"Yeah, I have to get back to work." My mom told him.
"See you later." The man said kissing my mom's cheek before walking to the door.
"I'll call you later Lucifer."
"If I don't call you first Carrie." Lucifer said.

My mother started blushing as she nodded at him. He walked out the door closing it behind him. Lilly started laughing at what just happened getting all of us her attention wondering why it was so funny. Then Kenny started laughing then me and my mother.
We laughed for a good couple minutes until my mother sat down in her chair and looked like her normal self again. Lilly sat in the chair in front of her and Kenny and I stood next to the wall.

"Well that was something." Lilly said.
"Tell me about it." I started to say. "I don't ever want to see my mother do that again."
"Oh shush it." My mother said. "It's partially normal to kiss someone."
"Yeah, we do it all the time babe." Kenny said.

My mother looked over at us and I elbowed him in the gut.

"Ouch," Kenny said rubbing his stomach.
"Sorry, reflex." I told him as I started blushing.
"It's fine. I just got use to my baby girl dating anyone."
"So, you and the ole man huh?" Lilly said.
"Lucifer," my mom said.
"Yeah, that was kinda getting heavy there Ms. Carrie. If we didn't come along what was y'all gonna do?" Lilly asked her.
"Lilly!" Both Kenny and I shouted.
My mother started blushing, moved a piece of her hair behind her ear. "I don't know, if we're being honest here."
"Ugh, mom!"
"Oh stop it. You know about the birds and the bees already. I told you when you were 13."
"13 I wasn't seeing anyone."
"No, but when Kenny started hanging out with you more I figured you two."
Kenny started laughing making me blush more than I was already. "Okay, enough about all that."
"Is it getting serious Ms. Carrie?" Lilly asked.
"I don't know. Maybe, it is getting awfully fast with us." My mom said.
"Like he'd be Cris's father?" Lilly asked.

When Lilly had said that, I got all serious and so did my mom. I never thought about that. Someone taking my father's spot. I always thought it would be me and my mother until I got old enough to get married of my own and have children.
My mother looked at me for a moment probably thinking the same thing. Thinking would he be the one to take my father's place. She looked back over at Lilly and reached over the desk and touched her hand.

"Lilly, I love you like my own daughter. Hell I helped her parents raise you with my own daughter half the time. But I don't think this is the time nor the place to talk about this. At least not right now." My mother told Lilly.

Lilly looked behind her and looked at me. She knew what my mother was talking about. So she got up and walked over to me and hugged me.

"Cris, no one can't take his spot. Even my own father can't take his spot even though he tries to help."
"I know. I'm fine." I said out loud.

Was I really fine thought. Have I reached that point of my life that I need a new father figure in my life? Am I ready for my mother to move on with hers?
We never know, or at least I wouldn't.
I smiled up at Lilly and my mom to really tell them I was okay. I was just ready to go home. And I think my mother saw that too. So she gathered her stuff and we walked out of the store to the car. Kenny got in the back with Lilly while I sat up front with my mom.
On the way home, I looked out of the window the whole ride. Trying to figure out my hell of a life I have, trying to see where things to be. As I was thinking about all that, I saw something in the tree lines running along the road like they're following or chasing the car. When we stopped at a stop sign to get ready to turn right, I got a good look of it. It was the wolf from the riverside.
How did he find me. How did he know where I lived. I was confused. When I sat up more my mother noticed my movement.

"Honey, are you okay?"
"Yeah, just ready to go home." I told her.
"Almost there. Kenny is your sister picking you up or am I taking you home?"
"Jenny's picking me up. I was gonna hang out with Cris a little longer if that was okay with you two."
"Actually, I was gonna fix up some leftovers then head off to bed. Sorry babe."
"Oh, okay. I'll text Jenny to come pick me up now." Kenny had said.

I nodded my head as I stared out watching the wolf. Once we pulled up to the house, I looked out to see if I can see him again but I couldn't. Kenny walked me inside as Lilly walked home. Kenny watched me warm up some food as he sat at the table.

"Are you sure you're okay?" He asked me.
"Yeah."
"Did Lilly get to you about your father?" He asked.
"No, I just got a headache that's all." I said as I reached for my food out of the microwave.

I put it on the table then went over to the fridge and got me a pop. As I sat down, there was a honk outside meaning Jenny was here for Kenny.

"Well I guess that's my time to go." Kenny said then came over to me and leaned down to kiss my cheek goodbye. "I'll see you at school tomorrow."
"Mhmm." I hummed at him.

Once Kenny was gone and I finished my room, I sat them in the sink then went up to my room. I went to my window to see if he was there still but I saw nothing. So I took a deep breath then went to my dresser and slid on my night clothes then went to my bed. As I laid there for who know how long, trying to sleep but couldn't, I heard a howl in the night. I sat us fast wondering if I heard that right.
I got out of bed and went to the window. It was pretty dark out so I couldn't really see anything. So I lifted up my window, grabbed my small flashlight, and climbed onto the roof. I sat in my usual spot on the roof and looked out towards the tree line. I shined my flashlight and looked around in the trees.
At first I didn't see anything until I looked back to my right again. That's when I saw him. He was standing close to the road, looking up at me.
I sat there staring at him wondering why and how he got here and found me. So I turned off my light then went back through the window and slowly and carefully went down the stairs to go out the front door. I ran across the road to where I saw the wolf but he was gone. I was about to go back home when I heard a small growl then turned around and saw him.
I walked over to him and kneeled down onto the ground and looked at him. He came towards me a little bit then laid down in front of me doing the same thing I was doing.

"What are you doing here? How did you even find me?" I asked the wolf. But forgot he can't even speak. "Look at me trying to speak to a wolf that can't even talk back." I had said.

I reached down and laid my hand on top of his head and started petting him. And there he went again purring like a freaking cat. He was cute and wish he was a dog so I could keep him.
After a little while, I looked up at the sky to see where the moon was. It was almost at its highest peak, so I got up and started to head back towards the house. I turned around to tell him bye but he was gone as well.
I sighed for a moment then went back to the house, up to my room. I was really tired now. When I got up to my room, I looked on my phone to see what time it was and it was little 11 pm.
Once I went to sleep, I had dreamt of the wolf. And not just any type of dream either, it was like real life him telling something in my dream.