Chapter Eight

The smell of coffee wakes you up in the morning. Sitting up in bed, your head feels better than you thought it would, considering the ghost of your father almost popped it off yesterday. Deciding to shrug it off, you get out of the bed and make your way downstairs. Entering the study, you see the brothers on the couch.

Dean looks up from the newspaper and at you. "Hey, what happened?" He asks, motioning to his own neck.

"My father's spirit was forced to rise and he came back vengeful?" You ask sarcastically.

He sighs and stands up, walking towards you. "Yeah, I know, genius. Just look."

He hands you his cellphone and you look at your reflection on the black screen. Sure enough, there's no sign at all of your father's hand around your neck. Handing him his phone back, you reach up and rub the bare skin with your other hand.

"I think Castiel did that." You admit.

"What, he visit you in dreamland too?"

You nod before walking to the wingback chair in the corner and taking a seat, tucking one leg under yourself. Dean returns to his seat and Sam looks up from his book.

"So, he comes to see you in your dreams to be a harbinger of the apocalypse," he points to Dean, then you, "and you to what? Heal your wounds and apologize? Looks like our angel has a soft spot."

You decide to ignore Sam's comments–and the small blush that creeps onto your face–and instead question Dean.

"He confirmed the apocalypse?"

"Allegedly the witnesses were the first of many seals. Lilith is trying to break these seals, and if she succeeds, Lucifer roams Earth. At least, that's what 'Touched by an Angel' says."

"So what do we do?" You ask.

Bobby enters the room holding two cups of coffee and hands you one before sitting at his desk. "We keep doing what we always do. Hunt things. We just also need to be on the lookout for omens."

You nod and take a sip of the coffee as Dean starts talking. "Speaking of hunting, I found a case. 'Man dead after eating razors in candy.'" He throws the paper on the coffee table.

"That's not really our thing, is it?" Sam questions.

"Not until you hear the rest of it. Buddy choked on multiple razors in one piece of candy."

"Sounds fishy enough. Where are we going?" You ask before taking another sip of the coffee.

"Baker, Montana. If we leave at eight we'll be there for two. That gives you half an hour to get ready." Dean says to both you and Sam.

"Sounds good." Turning your attention to Bobby, you ask, "Do you have anything to eat?"

He gives you a regretful look. "Not much. There might be some oatmeal packs in the cupboard beside the fridge."

You thank him and get up, bringing your coffee with you to the kitchen. Digging around in the old cupboard, you find two packs of maple brown sugar oatmeal packs stuffed in the back. They're probably expired, but too hungry to care, you rip open the paper and pour them into a bowl you took out of the dishrack. Checking the kettle on the stove, you find there's just enough water in it for your oatmeal, so you turn the back burner on.

Once the kettle's boiled and you've made the oatmeal to your liking, you grab a spoon from the dishrack and rejoin the group in the study.

You return to your seat and dig in until you see Sam watching you from the corner of your eye. Looking up, you see he has a grimace on his face.