Long Day

THE HUMAN

GIRL

ANOMALY

All things used to describe me. I can hardly blame them though. Humans were supposed to have been extinct for more than 10,000 years. Human ruins litter the land, ancient pieces covered in human script, a dead language few study let alone can read save for those made by them.

I've been summoned here by a very powerful flow being for an unknown reason. Until I can figure that out, I just need to accept my new life and learn to live as the Majiri people do. Luckily, most of the inhabitants of this humble land accepted me with open arms. Most.

Hassian is a rather standoffish guy. Lean features, masterful hunter, loner, cold. Hassian. It's understandable as I'm new and supposed to be extinct however, that doesn't seem to be why he doesn't like me. He's just like that, I guess.

I met Hassian after meeting most others in town. Friendly folk with very interesting customs. Most are just excited something new and different happened in their village. After all, it's not every day someone of a supposed extinct species magically appears in ancient ruins.

Jina had found me some time ago. She had been illegally studying the ancient human ruins when I had been summoned. She helped introduce me to everyone and get me settled in. I often work with her as she has now made studying my sudden appearance her life's work. I honestly owe my new life to her. I would've been totally lost if it wasn't for her help but I guess the same can technically be said about everyone here. I'm forever grateful to the people in Kilima Valley.

I make my way into the Inn and tavern. Today was a hunting heavy day as I'm in need of many animal materials for various projects and quests I'm filling. Exhausted, I plop into a stool at the dining bar. I groan, sweat beads trailing on my skin. A cold glass slides across the counter, soothing my skin as it brushes against my fingers.

I look up and see the pink skinned chef gazing at me with an amused smirk. Reth. He leans against the counter, his apron covered in stains from his recent culinary creations. He nods to the cold glass against my hand. A tall glass full of an iced golden sunset liquid.

"Long day?" Reth, stating the obvious.

I glare at him pointedly and gingerly take the heavy glass to my lips. The drink smells fruity and refreshing. I take a sip, the sweet contents fill my mouth. A hint of cinnamon comes through.
A satisfied breathy 'ahh' passing my lips.

"This my fruit, Reth?"

A nod and a growing smile.

Reth spoke with a cherry tone, "Pure and fresh. Not sure what it is but your fruit crop has been particularly sweet recently. Perfect for drinks!"

"Cinnamon is a nice touch. Wonder if this drink is like cider, it can be served hot or cold..." I get lost in the swirling of the cold drink in the glass. My sore hands twinge with pain from the activities of the day, cool from the sides of the cup.

Reth rolls his eyes, smirking, knowing he lost me to my thoughts as I relax. He tends to cleaning the bar and disappears to the back briefly, every so often. The smell of his latest soup fills the tavern. A cool breeze floows through to open doors on both ends of the building. Muttering of other passing patrons sprinkle around the floor. It's not too busy. There's a small fair in the next town, so often travelers pass through and get a room here if it's late.

I hardly notice when Tish comes by, lost in my thoughts or lack there of. Tish is such a sweet girl, always looking after Reth. Her kind and bubbly personality brightens up any room. She has what they describe as a fire based personality. Caring, ambitious, and a tad naive. Hers is a nice compliment to her brother's more haughty attitude. Reth has a more air based personality. Flirtatious, sarcastic, a bit arrogant. Both rather fun to be around. Always something interesting to say.

I give Tish an unfocused greeting. She engages in conversation with Reth, though I wasn't really paying attention. She pats me on the arm saying something to me though I can't hear her at first. I give her a confused look as my senses come back info focus and she repeats herself.

"The leather you ordered is in. I went ahead and sent it to your plot for you since I knew you were busy today." She gives me a warm smile. I thank her and she takes her leave, turning on the ball of her foot causing her soft blonde hair and skirt to swirl around her.

"Whatcha need more leather for? Thought you could process that yourself," Reth comments while replacing my empty glass.

"I can but my bench is full of other projects and my quiver, well-" lifting my quiver just high enough to show him, he can see the ratty state it's in. Worn and torn and weathered. The strap is hanging loose, a few stitches are have popped. It's in desperate need of repair.

"Oh yeesh. Better not let Hassian catch you with your quiver like that. He'll lecture you on how to treat your hunting equipment." He gives a slight chuckle before an audible inhale, his facial expression going serious. "No but seriously he will. No one wants that."

I roll my eyes and sip on my new drink. A bit later I feel more relaxed, nearly finished with my drink, feet not aching as much as they had been. I stretch a bit in my stool, popping my back, getting ready to leave soon. An excited ruff comes from the door. My head snaps to the front of the tavern. Tau standing in the entryway panting, purple fur fluffed up, tail wagging excitedly.

My eyes widen when none other than Tau's companion makes his way through the doorway, gazing around the patrons.

Hassian.

Crap.