Chapter 1: Ballykil

I walked through the streets of my small town, Ballykil was beautiful in winter. Christmas was a few days ago. I got two new dresses. a petticoat, a journal, and a necklace. My family is the richest in our town so naturally I was gifted very kindly.

I walk at a fast pace, my boots heels clicking on the cobblestones. The year is 1839. I was born in 1826, on January 6th. My birthday is in two days.

My friend Laoise (pronounced lee-sha) lives not so far. Her family are farmers. They grow  magnificent potatoes. My father often buys from them. I pull my
thick shawl closer to me. My hat keeps my ears warm but also makes my blonde waves appear disgruntled, so I get by most of the time without it. However, this time I wished I had worn it, my ears stung badly.

I continue walking out of the town square down a smaller road. I stop in front of a familiar field and smooth down my green dress and lace apron, I carry a basket with some fresh pastries for Laoise and her family.

I walk down the worn path to the farm house. I knock politely and wait for the sound of running footsteps to let me in.

As expected a hear Laoise's little brother Eoghan (pronounced Owen) running to the door.

"Hello Eoghan." I smile and hand him the basket. He already had put a pastry in his mouth before mumbling a thank you.

"Hello Aisling" Laoise's mother greets me. (Aisling is pronounced Ashling.)

"Hello Mrs. Boyle." I curtsy.

"Aisling! Hello!" Laoise appears out of nowhere like always. It is a trick i have never figured out. But her light wispy blonde hair and pale skin helps with her ghostly appearance. But I'm pretty sure no wisp has this much energy.

She grasps my hand and leads me outside, snatching two pastries from the basket that Eoghan is still carrying. She hands one to me and we start eating and talking. Maybe a little bit of gossiping as well but don't tell my father. I don't purposely sin, just when you hear that Mr. McCarthy's daughter Shauna is running off with Callum Byrne you can't help but tell your best friend.

                                           - -•- -

    I am currently writing in my new journal, it is great enjoyment. I think I will make it my diary.

Dear Diary,
        Just another normal day today. Laoise and I had time together. She wasn't doing her chores yet. After that I went to the market and bought some food for dinner. Fiona made a full winter soup. She won't let anyone get hungry. I'm glad she is our made now because the one before her was not as skilled at cooking. Don't tell papa but I committed the sin of gossiping. Hopefully god, if you're watching forgive me. Anyways I must get ready for bed. I am terribly tired.

Sincerely,
       Aisling

I set my diary down and slip on my white nightgown.  I just love the lacy frills. I smooth them down and twirl.

"Aisling, you look beautiful! I can't believe you don't have a suitor yet!" My little sister Imogen (pronounced Imma gen) says.

"Thank you! There is no need to flatter though." I say. "You're really the pretty one, I bet all the boys are waiting for you to come of age." I smile, but I know it's true. My face is full of freckles will Imogen has pale skin and auburn hair. Her ringlets are perfectly rounded and no matter what she does her hair always looks magical. Her green eyes shine while my brown eyes always look dull. She just looks so much like Mother. She always has. I take after my father. Tall, lean, no curves, and dangerously freckled.

I sneak under the covers of my bed. Ready for a good night of sleep. I fall into fitful dreams about impending bad luck.
———————————————————————————
Hi.

Did you like it? My sister says I'm a bit of a history noob, I suppose it's true. I hope you enjoyed it, I included all the Irish pronunciation of the words. If any of my information is not true please let me know. Also I have two questions for you, what is your favorite name in this story? Which characters would you like to hear more about? Please tell me in the comments.

See you later,
     TheLittleMermaid