Prologue

Alexander Huntington prowled. His footsteps were silent, betraying neither his presence nor his intent. For centuries, he had wandered this earth, a creature of the night condemned to the shadows, forever seeking but never finding solace in the company of mortals.

Time stretched before him like an endless expanse of darkness, each passing century eroding at his spirit until all that remained was a hollow shell of the man he once was. He had witnessed empires rise and fall, civilizations crumble into dust, and yet, through it all, he remained unchanged, trapped in a timeless existence devoid of meaning or purpose.

But on this particular night, as he prowled through the moonlit glade, something stirred within him, a flicker of curiosity that ignited a long-dormant spark of hope. It was then that he caught the sight and scent of her, a figure bathed in moonlight. He glanced at the name on her school ID, Maia Sinclair.

In that moment, he felt something shift within him, a longing so profound it threatened to consume him whole. She was unlike any mortal he had ever encountered.

As she aimed her bright flashlight towards him, he swiftly vanished before their gazes could intersect. He didn't want to startle her, knowing well the fragility of humans. Yet, thoughts of her lingered incessantly in his mind.