VI

The following week, Alexander was enjoying a quiet morning at his mansion on the edge of Silverfield. It was a sprawling estate, tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the town, surrounded by dense woods and lush gardens. He liked the solitude, but it had become more meaningful since Maia entered his life.

As he was sitting in his study (shirtless), sipping animal blood and reading a book, his phone buzzed. It was Maia. He was happy to hear from her, but the tone of her voice sent a chill down his spine.

"Alex," she said, her voice shaky, "can we talk? Something happened, and I'm really worried. I—I don't know what to do."

Alexander sat up, his book forgotten. "Of course, Maia," he replied, his voice filled with concern. "Do you want to come over? We can talk in person. I'll text you my address."

"That'd be great," she said, sounding relieved. "I'll be there soon."

He sent her his address, then quickly tidied up the living room, knowing she would be there any minute. The mansion was a grand structure, filled with antiques and old-world charm. It reflected his long life and the many eras he had lived through, but it also felt lonely at times.

Maia arrived at the mansion's massive front doors, it had taken her a while to walk there. The grandeur of the estate took her aback, the towering stone walls, and the intricate ironwork on the gates. It was like stepping into another world, a place where time seemed to stand still.

She rang the doorbell, and within seconds, Alexander opened the door, a warm smile on his lips. He could sense her anxiety and immediately invited her inside. "Hey, Mai," he said, gesturing for her to enter. "I'm glad you're here. Come on in, let's talk."

She stepped inside, her eyes widening as she took in the ornate décor, the rich tapestries, and the antique furniture. It was unlike anything she had ever seen, a mansion that exuded both history and mystery. She felt a mixture of awe and curiosity, but her worry quickly brought her back to the reason she was there.

Alexander led her to a cozy sitting area, where a fire crackled in the hearth, casting a warm glow across the room. He motioned for her to sit on a plush sofa while he took a seat in a large armchair across from her.

"What's on your mind, Maia?" he asked, his voice gentle. "You sounded worried. How can I help?"

Maia took a deep breath, trying to steady her nerves. "It's about Omar," she began, her eyes filled with uncertainty. "I—after the proposal last week, something didn't feel right. He's been acting strange, and I'm not sure if it's just the stress of planning a wedding or if there's something else going on."

Alexander listened intently, his expression serious. "What do you mean by strange? Can you give me an example?"

Maia hesitated, searching for the right words. "It's like he's more possessive than usual, even aggressive at times. He got really angry when I mentioned the wedding guest list, and he's been watching my every move. It's like he doesn't trust me anymore."

Alexander nodded, his eyes narrowing slightly as he absorbed her words. "I'm sorry you're going through this," he said, his voice calm but firm. "That kind of behavior isn't healthy. You need to be with someone who respects your boundaries."

"Someone like me," Alex thought to himself. 

Maia nodded, her shoulders relaxing slightly. "I know," she said, her voice barely above a whisper. "But I don't know what to do. I love him, but I can't keep living like this."

Alexander leaned forward and kneeled in front of her, his gaze locking with hers. "You have every right to set boundaries, Maia," he said. "If he's making you feel unsafe or uncomfortable, you have to do what's best for you. I'll support you, whatever you decide."