Clandestine Encounters

The Untamed Soldier
Chapter 2: Clandestine Encounters
By: Remy A. Mikazuki

Bulma, a young woman, hurried away from the Capsule Corps compound with a smile on her face. She was headed for a secret meeting with her lover, Yamcha, on the exotic world of Earth. Being cautious not to attract attention, she disguised herself by swapping her elegant clothes for simple peasant attire. Despite being betrothed to Yamcha, their clandestine rendezvous was risky, and Bulma was determined to avoid detection.

Bulma's smile grew wider as she daydreamed about Yamcha, her beloved desert bandit, whisking her off her feet for their first kiss. Despite their arranged marriage for political purposes, she considered herself fortunate to have developed genuine feelings for him over the years. Their deep friendship since childhood had blossomed into a romantic connection that filled her heart with joy.

Bulma's pace slowed as unfamiliar voices reached her ears, causing a momentary pause in her steps. Initially, she wondered if Yamcha had brought someone along, but the language being spoken was foreign to her, unlike anything she had heard on Earth. A wave of fear gripped her as she quickly sought cover behind a tree. Hiding behind the foliage, she crouched beneath the swaying branches, her heart pounding with apprehension. Frozen in place, she peered cautiously around the tree, unable to move as disbelief washed over her.

Bulma's worst fears were realized as she spotted Saiyan soldiers occupying the small clearing before her. In a moment of panic, she instinctively hunched down further, her heart racing in her chest. The thought of her secret meeting with Yamcha vanished from her mind as the gravity of the situation sunk in. Had she ventured just a step further into the sunny glade, she would have stumbled right into the enemy camp, a perilous scenario she was grateful to have narrowly avoided.

Bulma's fear paralyzed her as memories of the cruel Saiyans resurfaced, stirring deep-seated resentment within her. The Saiyans had long departed Earth, leaving behind Bardock the Great, who had raised his three sons and an adopted daughter, the survivor of Earth's first purge. Despite her upbringing among the Saiyan race, the tragic loss of her family and friends during the purge had instilled a profound hatred within her.

The mere mention of Frieza and the horrors associated with the Saiyan race sent shivers down Bulma's spine. Raised by Bardock, who often praised her intelligence, she felt her mind racing with apprehension. Why were the Saiyan Soldiers back on Earth? Did they have knowledge of her upcoming wedding to Yamcha, the Desert Bandit Prince? The outpost, under Bardock's rule, held strategic importance in safeguarding Earth from external threats, making the presence of the Saiyan Soldiers a cause for alarm.

The fragile peace maintained since Bardock swore allegiance to the Saiyan Prince and King was at risk, as the shadow of the Kold Empire loomed large. Frieza's tyrannical rule over the empire was despised by Bardock, and the thought of the Saiyans plotting under their command fueled Bulma's outrage. Determined to alert her father to the potential threat, she understood the urgency of relaying this critical information to prevent any sinister intentions by their enemies.

As Bulma's knees started to ache from crouching behind the tree, she cautiously lifted herself up to steal another glance at the Saiyan Soldiers. Despite the daylight hours, they were setting up camp, and a sense of urgency hung in the air. Peering at the group before her, her eyes widened in surprise.

Among the soldiers, she noticed a wounded man being assisted by two others. Despite his short stature, he exuded a powerful presence that commanded attention. His battle-worn appearance and the sight of blood trickling down his leg painted a grim picture. Although the sight of blood made her uneasy, Bulma couldn't tear her gaze away. It was a man she had encountered only once before, yet his image had remained etched in her memory.