Chapter 28

Learning to stand up on your own means embracing the power of self-reliance, but remember that each step taken without support also carries the weight of uncharted consequences. Tread wisely, for the lessons you learn along the way are the true measures of growth. For it is not the fight itself that defines us, but the strength we find within when faced with the choice to either succumb or persist.

"Babalik ako para dalawin ka ulit dito, Lola. Pangako 'yan."

I closed my eyes as I stepped onto the borders line. Parehong pakiramdam lang sa tuwing tatawid ako rito na may kuryenteng dumadaloy sa buong katawan ko. When I opened my eyes again, I was in the middle of forest here in Hydera Pennha. The cold breeze welcomed me and the chirping of the birds were everywhere. I sighed. I'm here again to continue the journey I've started.

Should I go back to the Academy? Or I'll go to somewhere else?

In the end, I end up going to the town hall and see Nimfa. Malaya na akong nagpapakita sa ibang bampira nang walang sinusuot na nagtatakip sa katawan ko. I don't need to drink Zandrei's blood just to cover up the strong scent of my blood.

"Napadalaw ka, Niane. You've.. really changed a lot," namamanghang sambit niya.

"I just want to try it again. Baka sakaling makausap ko na sila."

Konting pag-asa lang ang meron ako at gusto kong gamitin 'yon alang-alang sa mga katanungang gusto kong masagot. When my memories came back, all I know was just the information of them being killed. Malabong makita 'yon ng mga mata ko dahil pilit akong inilalayo ni Papa upang hindi ko 'yon masaksihan. I was just sticking to the fact that they were killed. 'Yon ang dahilan kung bakit nawalan ako ng pag-asang baka buhay pa sila.

The only hope that helps me look forward is to hear the answers coming from them. Sa kanila lang ako naniniwala ng totoo. They were my parents after all.

"I'm sorry pero ayaw talaga. May bampirang dumalaw sa'kin ilang araw na ang nakalipas ngunit gumana naman ang kapangyarihan ko. Hindi ko alam kung bakit ayaw gumana sa'yo," nawawalang pag-asa niyang sabi.

Ilang ulit na namin 'yong ginawa kaya napabuntong hininga na lang ako. "Maybe truth wasn't really on my side. Or maybe there's no wrong with you but its on me."

"No, its not that. Remember what I've told you? What if you can't call them because their spirits are wandering in this world? Baka hindi pa sila matahimik sa pagmakamatay nila." She reminded me the first time I visited here.

Kumunot naman ang noo ko. "How am I supposed to call them? Is there even a way?"

"The only way is to build connections with them. Hanapin mo ang puntod nila at doon mo sila kausapin. Tell them how much you wanted to talk to them. Nothing is stronger than a bond you have with your parents," she enlightened me.

"Says the one who had a great bond with her parents," I said sarcastically.

She just laughed at me. "We're not in the same boat, Niane. But maybe we kinda have similarities. If vampires knew my true existence they would also hate me too."

"What about your true existence? Is your father a mortal?" I couldn't help but to ask out of curiosity.

She smiled bitterly and shook her head. "He's one of the cenas in Vanerhart Academy. Brandon Lacosta."

Nakatulala lamang ako habang naglalakad palabas ng town hall. Ni hindi ko halos maisip na sa lahat ng pwede niyang maging ama ay si Sir Brandon pa. Everyone in the school looks up on him. He's the cena of Black Zythe, the fearsome four with Eurisse as the special member.