𝟔. 𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐋𝐄𝐒 𝐂𝐑𝐔𝐌𝐁𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐆

JOEL

DAY TWO

The truck lulls to the side as it sinks slowly into the water. My window is submerged, water leaks in from places I don't have time to think about right now, and the only chance we have of getting out of here is through Addie's window. I'm pissed off. Why wasn't I focusing on the road? Why was I fucking looking over at her? My mind is spinning into overdrive, but I swallow it down as I pop open the glove compartment and grab the weapons, shoving them into my bag as I glance at her slumped figure in the seat.

Slamming the compartment closed, I lean over her and grab the knob to roll the window down as I say, "Addison. Wake up."

Blood trickles down her forehead, and my stomach clenches. She hit her head on the dash pretty hard, but I couldn't think about that right now. I need to get us out.

The water is to my shins now and fucking cold.

"Addison," I growl, grasping her chin in my fingers. "Hey. Hey. Wake up."

Her thick brows twinge slightly as she groans softly, but her eyes don't open. With a huff, I smack her cheek, not too hard—but hard enough to jolt her. She stirs weakly, and I smack it again harder. Time is running out. Her blue eyes flash open as she gasps, lifting her head from the seat as she blinks steadily, still in a daze.

"Can you hear me?" I ask, still holding her chin as I study her pupils. The last thing we need is a head injury.

She nods, glancing past me and at the water that's touching my knees. Her eyes widen as her chest heaves, the panic settling in.

"Joel," she rasps.

"I know. We have to go, now."

My hands fumble as I unbuckle our seatbelts, throwing my bag over my shoulder as I pull my feet from the water and kneel down into the seat. The water isn't high enough to touch her yet, but that's only because the truck is almost completely turned sideways now. I hold onto the steering wheel for leverage as her petite hands hold onto the window for dear life.

"We're sinking," she stammers, and I can see her shaking as she processes what's going on. "Joel–"

"I know," I repeat firmly, grabbing her bag and thrusting it against her abdomen. "Climb out of the window."

She flimsily takes the bag, but she looks like she's seen a ghost. "What? I can't. I can't go out there, Joel–"

Gripping the passenger seat headrest, I pull myself up further until I'm hovering inches away from her panicked face. "Listen to me. I'm right behind you. We gotta go now."

A tear slips down her cheek, but she takes a deep breath as she nods. Ice-cold water reaches my hips, making me wince as I watch her throw her bag out onto the side of the truck. She struggles to pull herself out of the window, so I put my palm on the bottom of her shoe, boosting her up until she's free from the cab.

The ache in my body is prominent as I pull myself up through the window, making me feel my age as I grunt lowly. Her hands grasp my jacket to help me. The current of the water is faster than I thought, pulling the truck downstream as it sinks lower and lower into the river. We don't have much time to decide what to do before we're underwater, too.

"My stuff," Addison falters, and I turn to look at her suitcases floating a few feet away from us. "All of my stuff, Joel."

My eyes lift toward the bridge, which is farther away now, and see not one–but four figures standing there, watching us.