Chapter 3: Premonition

Upon their exit from Stanislaw's office, the duo marched through the labyrinth of hallways and rooms, the flood of their peers encompassing cardinal points for their inevitable journey. With news of change revolving in their minds, the ways of their society were highlighted for the two now that the pivotal point in their lives was soon to come.

All around them was the same facility they grew accustomed to, an inconspicuous housing for those in power, exempt from the realm of rot and ruin. A life transcending the ramifications of war, an expanse masked under the excuse of "government necessities", when all that lay beyond it was callousness; discarding what little hope their people had to rely on, what little flickers of substance they had to live off of.

Meydem saw into the true intentions of their governments, the reality behind both their motives and executions. She was a catalyst to an inextricable iniquity, one that she did her best to mitigate through her benevolence. Yet, she was afraid fate would only allow for the flame to burn for so long. But the hope that she inspired could only burn so bright, the warmth of the flame could only cut so deep into the cold callousness of their world.

Yet, with one small yet revolutionizing meeting, everything changed. A jolting blend of hope and tension fueled those around, the possibility of bringing the world to what they all dreamed of resonated. A once burning desire reformed into an ethereal reality, so close, so inevitable that its balmy warmth pressed up against their skin.

Vorion was the more pragmatic of the two, Meydem was nothing beyond ambitious. She always saw the potential in things, that even the grimmest circumstances could burn as bright as the sun if faced correctly. A prosperous future was at their fingertips...

Yet Vorion couldn't shake the undying premonition whirring within his chest.

"You used to never miss the opportunity to check up on others," Vorion called out to his wife. "Huh?" Meydem swiftly pivoted, having unknowingly skipped past her husband. "Oh..." The woman mused, "I suppose you're right. I'm just really excited, y'know?" She exclaimed, her smile widening toward her husband. "...yeah, I get that. You just seem rather tunnel-visioned," Vorion exclaimed, weary. "You need to recognize that this isn't going to be some easy, run-of-the-day mission. We've already lived our lives with targets on our backs, and there's no doubt other factions are seeking to stop us. This is real, Meydem."

Meydem's smile faltered for a moment, her eyes reflectively twitching at his words. "Y-yeah... I get that. But Vorion, you gotta account for what will happen if we succeed!" Meydem refuted, her voice rising with passion. "And have you accounted for what would happen if we fail? Our children are left without parents, and we–the strongest defense for our faction– likely are killed off, which leaves everything we built up vulnerable." Meydem's expression fell, a soft sigh escaping her mouth. "Baby, I understand there's a lot on the table. If we win, that'll change everything. Without a doubt. But, if we lose, do you want to imagine what'll happen to our kids? To poor Frederick and his grandkids?" "Alright-" Meydem interrupted, unease swelling in her voice. "I get it. I get it." Vorion exasperated, his hands cuffing his significant other's. "You know I love you more than anything, I just desire your safety. That's my job after all, right? To protect you?" Meydem nodded understandingly. Vorion cared deeply for his wife, and he wanted nothing beyond her happiness; but her safety– his family's safety– came beyond all else. Hope still glistened in her eyes, yet Vorion could only trust that she understood.

"This could be the very last battle that we'll ever need to do, so... I'm asking you to be extra careful." A soft smile reformed on Meydem's face, gently nodding at her husband. "I promise. I got your back just as you got mine. We got this, okay?" Ultimately, she was his wife. And in the end, their trust is what held their marriage together. Smiling, Vorion nodded. "Okay. Let's go, Mey."