Usurper

Ser Willam Royce
Runestone

As rain poured down, four hooded riders made their way through the iron gates and into the courtyard at Runestone, the leading rider was quick to dismount from his horse, and gave the reins over to one of the household guards, while the others continued onwards towards the stables.

"Welcome home, Ser Willam, we've been expecting your arrival for some days now." a balding man said, bowing his head in respect.

"I only wish it was under different circumstances, Captain Eldric, it is good to finally lay eyes on a familiar face again." Willam clasped the man's hand, and gave it a firm shake "How are things here since it happened?"

"As you could expect, the mood is rather low, you know as well as I how respected and loved was our Lady Rhea, the realm has lost a fine woman." Eldric said, turning his heel and they both made their way towards the keep.

Willam was shocked when he had first received the news. She was the mother he never had the chance to know, she took him in when she did not have to after his mother and father died in a shipwreck off the coast and raised him beside her son.

"That it has, Eldric... That it has." Willam removed his hood once they were finally in the warmth of the keep, and then followed by his gloves before running a hand across his brown curls, removing the fringe from his eyes "Any word from the prince?"

"A raven arrived a few days ago bearing the Targaryen seal, the prince has departed from King's Landing and is set to arrive in Gulltown on the morrow." Eldric confirmed, while Willam busied himself, looking up at the tapestries that hung on the wall, thinking of times passed within these walls "We should expect him here shortly thereafter, and that is when Lady Rhea's body shall be laid to rest."

"There's an uneasiness about all of this, can we be sure that it was an accident?" Willam shook his head "Lady Rhea was well known for her riding and hunting capabilities."

They halted just outside the great hall.

"It is an unfortunate reality, but accidents tend to happen, even to the best of us." Eldric gently held Willam's arm and pulled him into a whisper. "I must warn you, Willam, I fear Ser Gerold is conspiring to seize Runestone. Your family's bannermen are here now. Some of my men overheard that he has been saying that it was Aerion who ordered his own mother's death in fear she would name another as her heir."

"Then Gerold is an even bigger fool than I first thought, the bannermen will not go for this." Willam replied "I shall speak with my cousin and attempt to convince him to abandon this foolish pursuit. Prepare some men to leave with haste should your suspicions be correct, Captain."

Eldric gripped tightly onto his arm before he could enter the great hall "Tread carefully, my lord."

Willam looked down at his arm and then back up at Eldric, and without saying a word, the captain removed his hand and left towards the courtyard.

The knight took a deep breath, he had only been within the walls for a few moments and already might have to act against a cousin to ensure the survival of another, these were dark times. It was that moment he wished he was a squire for Lord Ronald Darry once more, but those days had past, and now he was sworn knight of the Vale.

He would serve his prince to his dying breath, it was the vow they made to each other at childhood. William thought of that time, and how inseparable they were. They feasted with each other, trained together, and were always in competition, but that only made their bond grow beyond kinship, to a true brotherhood.

He composed himself, and widened the doors to the grand, and was not at all surprised by the sight of Gerold seated upon their house's ancient stone throne, runes etched into it. It was a dishonour to be seated so shortly after Lady Rhea's death, but Gerold always did prove himself to be a snake, a fat one at that.