31 - Decisions

A lot of Igbo language at the beginning of this chapter.

They're written in bold italics, with their interpretations following them in bracket.

Mabel's POV

Clad in my towel, my thoughts ran far as I stood by the window. The sun had risen, blazing through the ceiling to floor windows of my room. I didn't watch it this morning. It wasn't a new dawn, just a new morning. Jason still pay lifeless in the hospital, fighting for his life. Here I was, carrying his child and missing him. Clenching mg jaws, tears brimmed in my eyes. Angrily, I pulled down the curtain in one fluid movement, the space of my room becoming a darker shade.

Feeling nauseous, I dashed into my bathroom, lowering my head into the sink. I threw up and cringed at the sight when I raised my head. The tap sprung to life, flushing all the shit down the drain. Opening my palms, I threw a handful of water over my face. After rinsing my mouth, I dried my face with a towel.

With the last drop of my energy, I slid into my black leggings, clasped on my bra and threw on a cream coloured knitted crop sweater. Quickly, I ran a brush over my messy hair, doing the edges and leaving it in the messy bun. I touched a little cosmetic on my face but it didn't change my mood.

Descending the stairs, everyone was seated at the table, almost like they were waiting for me. Grandma had called for an emergency meeting. She was the head of my mother's family and she had something to say. I knew it was all about me.

On one side of the dining table, my grandmother sat with her daughters. On the other side, I was seated beside Ada. We remained quiet, waiting for mama to begin.

"Ihe anyi ji gbako taa bu maka ihe di oke mkpa (the reason we have gathered today is because of something very important). It is important that I called this meeting and everyone was present."
The bell rang and our heads whipped towards the direction of the door. Heels clicked against the tiles, toxic perfume infiltrating the clean air. Chinasa sauntered into the dining room, wearing a fake grin and tugging at the hem of her dress when our grandmother gave her a look of disgust, eyes raking her body up and down. Nasa hid her embarrassment with a sheepish smile, rushing to sit beside Ada.

She opened her mouth to greet.
"Akwuna (prostitute),"  Grandma gave her a stink look and Chinasa's face turned pink, my aunt frowning in bitterness.   "Your mates are in their husband's houses." Mama finished off after eyeing Chinasa with the most scary eyes.

Peeling her gaze away from Chinasa, grandma, placed her hands on the table, her gaze constantly darting to everyone at the table.

"Anyi bu ezinaulo otu mkpuke, anyi ga-na eguzo na-idi n'otu, n'ihe obula anyi na-eme (We are one extended family, we'll stand in unity, in whatever we do.) Which is why we have come together to rub minds and know what is best for Mabel, because we love you." Her gaze lingered on me.
"We want you to make a choice." Then she turned to my mother, her first daughter and gave her a nod.

I already knew where this is going. Grandma is going to talk about my pregnancy, my marriage and divorce with Jason. Tiredly, I heaved a sigh.

My mother sighed. "Mabel." Her voice was soft, eyes filled with love as she looked at me. "We understand that you had an arranged marriage and the past few months must have been the most difficult time of your life..."

"Mba chelu! (No wait!)" My grandmother cut her off with a raise of her index finger and I sighed tiredly. "Mgbe gboo, (in old times)," She snapped her fingers behind her ears. "Nna anyi ochie ha, Nna nna anyi, otu ahu ka fa si alu nwanyi. (Our fore-fathers, our father's father, that's the way they got married to their wives.) O na-abu nwokorobia tozuo, wee buru nwoke, ndi bee ya na-ga ju ese wee chotara ya ezigbo nwa agboghobia mara mma ma nwee Agway di mma. (When a young lad reaches his prime and becomes a real man, his people will go and make their findings and look for a beautiful young lady with good character for him.) O buru na nke ahu baa ya anya, o luba ya. (If he finds the young lady attractive, he gets married to her.)"