23. 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐚𝐧𝐲

Thursday, June 1988.

12:21 pm.

I was sitting on the floor in one of the aisles. The old wood bin of cds infront of me as I took each one out. Stacking them. I got up. Brushing off my pants as I went to the back to grab some spray and a rag to clean all these dusty bins off. Once I grabbed the stuff I went back to the aisle. Sitting back down as I began to wipe down the dirty bins and cd cases.

1:03.

I sat bored behind the counter. Spinning around on the spinny chair. Couple of people in the store. It wasn't really busy on weekdays but was more on weekends. I fiddled with my pen as I wrote some stuff down, a grocery list for tomorrow or something. Before hearing the bell ring above the door. "Welcome to joes, best record store in town." I said softly, not looking up. "Hey to you too" I heard a familiar deep voice speak. Axl, I looked up. Seeing slash accompanied beside him as-well. But he was quiet. Walking off. My gaze softened a bit. Axl rolled his eyes before walking off with him. It always pissed me off how slash switches up so quick. The other night he tried to kiss me. 2 nights ago  he was being all flirty. And now he's not talking.

I sighed, resting my chin on the back of my hand, propped up against the counter. My mind began to wander, back to the events of the other night. The memory was vivid, refusing to fade. The way Slash's eyes had softened as he leaned in close. His breath, warm and sweet, had danced across my skin, sending shivers down my spine despite myself.

Shaking my head, I tried to dispel the memory, tried to replace Slash's face in my mind with the mundane tasks at hand. But it was no use, his image was stubbornly etched into my thoughts, accompanied by the confusion and frustration his recent behavior had sparked. god damn IT slash.

Resigned, I took a deep breath and began to busy myself with tidying up the counter - straightening the stacks of CDs, rearranging the old concert posters that adorned the walls. Anything to keep my mind off him, off the confusion that he had thrust into my mind.

But regardless of how intently I focused on my tasks, a part of my mind was still with Slash - wondering what had changed, why he was acting so distant these past two days. He'd normally call me and ask about my day. Be sweet but whatever. Two days wasn't bad.. right?.

I shrugged off the unease, chalking it up to him just having an off couple of days. Everyone has them, I reasoned, even rockstars. well soon to be. It was entirely possible that Slash was just going through one of those down phases, and I was reading too much into it.

However, it wasn't easy to completely convince myself that, that was all there was to it. A part of me couldn't help but think back to the other night, to the way he had looked at me, the way he had leaned in to kiss me. It didn't seem like the actions of someone who was just having a few bad days. It seemed more... intentional. More personal.

And that's what was bothering me the most. The not knowing. The uncertainty. The constant wondering and second-guessing. Was it something I did? Was it something I said? Or was it just Slash being Slash - unpredictable and enigmatic, leaving everyone around him guessing his next move?

I let out a sigh, trying to push away the thoughts. But no matter how much I tried to distract myself, to focus on the work at hand, his face would keep popping up in my mind, his actions replaying over and over like a broken record.

I shook my head, forcing myself to focus on the CD cases in front of me. Faint footsteps walking up to the counter. I looked up seeing as axl placed a cd on the counter. It looked familiar. I cocked a eyebrow. "What? Can't buy my own cd?" He said with a grumble. Slash huffed, "I'm waiting in the car" was all he said before walking out. My eyes following him as he did so. I turned my attention back to the cd. Scanning it as I slid it back to him. "You look bored" "I am." I murmured as I rubbed my face. "Need some company?"

"Yeah that'd be nice actually"