Chapter 13

Derek's P.O.V

"H-How did you-"

"Do you think the granddaughter of a big business owner wouldn't have people following her around?"

Shit. "How much."

"What do you mean?"

"For you to stay away from Megan. 5 grand? 10?" "I don't want your money!"

"Fine. It's either stay away, or your brother gets into this mess. You have one hour to give me an answer."

And with that, the call ended. I can't bring Devin into this. I gotta go talk to him.

Devin is a, somewhat famous, baseball player. That granny could end his career with a blink of an eye.

I arrived at his apartment, 20 minutes later. Once I found room #12, I knocked three times. Devin answered the door in less that 20 seconds. "Hey bro, come in." He gestures me into his living room. "So what's up."

"Oh, nothing much, just wanted to see how my little bro is doing." "Oh, I'm doing great, how's teaching?"

"It's alright."

"But can I ask you something?"

"What is it?"

"Who is that girl you've been hanging around with? I've been in town lately."

"A student. Sorta encountered a few times." Devin's eye bulged at a realization. "Don't tell me-" "Nahh, nothing at all." I answered back nervously.

"I'm telling you, you better not. You just got your life back together. You can't fuck it up again."

"I know, I know."

Megan's P.O.V

It's been weeks since Derek texted. I just stared at my phone, waiting for it to vibrate.

"Megan..." Grandma knocked and walked into my room. "Hey grandma." I said emotionless, eyes still glued to my phone. "Oh, you won't be getting a text from him for a long time."

My head shot up to face Grandma. "How do you-. What did you say to him?"

"Oh, let's just say...I gave him a little offer and he decided to pick the right choice." I couldn't believe her, right now. "WHAT?"

"It's for your own good." She snapped back. Grandma slammed my door, while I plopped down on my bed.

Alright. I'll just make the move.

M: We need to talk.
D: Sorry I can't, like ever.
M: I know what she said to you.
D: What's done is done.
M: You really think I'm going to give up that easily?😏

With that, I turned off my phone and drifted off the sleep.

The Next Day

I woke up to the beeping of my alarm clock, and the time read 7:30. I groaned as I got up to grab my towel and take a shower.

After my usual routine, I threw on my coat and scarf. I decided to skip breakfast to avoid grandma. I slammed the front door as I walked out.

It was an early Monday morning, and here in Mass it's snowing like always this time of the year.

I slid into Derek's classroom to be greeted by an emotionless 'hello'.

"Well hello to you too."

He looked up. "What is it."

"Are you gonna give up that easily. As if I care what my grandma thinks." "You have nothing to worry about, but I do. She's going to drag Devin into this."

I walked over to his desk and looked him straight in the eyes. "Then we'll have to be more careful. I'm not that easy to take down."

He smirked to my remark and agreed.

"Alright."