Mission Underway

In the depths of an ancient village, a secretive gathering took place within the confines of a dimly lit cave. The air was heavy with the scent of burning wax as candles flickered, casting dancing shadows on the rough stone walls. At the center of this macabre assembly stood an altar, where a woman, bound and gagged, writhed in desperation. Her restraints bit into her flesh as the robed figures of the village cult pressed her down against the cold, hard stone.

The fabric gagging her was foul-tasting, reeking of age and decay, but the horror of her predicament overshadowed this discomfort. Panic surged through her veins, her heart pounding against her ribcage like a frantic drum. Despite the sliver of hope that flickered within her, she was acutely aware of the grim fate that awaited her.

Amidst the silent anticipation of the cloaked assembly, one figure stepped forward, muttering prayers in Spanish with a fervor that resonated in the cavernous space. The words were mostly lost to her, a string of sounds that melded into a terrifying litany.

"Sumergida en el agua purificadora, envuelta en... inmaculado y que aquí te ofrecemos. Oh, señor, que la luz de tu gloria la ilumine hacia tu paraíso. Acepta este cordero, muestra tu poder y acógenos en el paraíso, en tu seno inmaculado. ¡Oh, señor!!" the priest intoned, his voice echoing through the stony chamber.

A chilling shadow loomed over her, cast by a figure brandishing an axe. As the cult members held her firmly against the altar, the sharp, silhouetted edge of the axe aligned ominously with her neck. Terror strangled her thoughts; she was painfully aware of the impending death blow. Powerless, she clenched her eyes shut, a silent sob choked by the gag. The priest's final invocation pierced the heavy air, and with a swift, merciless arc, the axe descended.

______________
Resonant Hearts
____________________

Y/n's memories of that harrowing night in Raccoon City were as vivid as ever. He could still see his family, desperate and terrified, trying to escape their apartment building when they were blindsided by one of the city's mutated horrors—a Licker, they were called. He and his sister had barely escaped with their lives, fleeing to the presumed safety of the police station.

It was there that they met Leon Kennedy, who took it upon himself to protect them through the chaos. But despite Leon's efforts, Y/n could not shake off the guilt of his sister's death. He had been careless, and she had paid the price for his mistake with her life.

Part of that guilt fueled his drive to excel, pushing him to become a top federal agent, though always a step behind Leon. Y/n respected him, but a part of him burned to surpass his mentor. Then came the mission that would test him like no other—the president himself had assigned it, on Leon's recommendation. Y/n was to help rescue the president's daughter, Ashley Graham. "Leon recommended that you come along on this mission," the president had told him, his voice laden with distress. "Said he trusts you, even if you have no prior mission experience. I'm trusting the two of you with this. Don't disappoint me, Y/n. And please, save my daughter."

Now, seated in the back of a Spanish police car speeding through a foggy night toward a remote village, Y/n felt the weight of the upcoming challenge. Beside him, Leon seemed lost in thought, gazing out at the shadowy, mist-enshrouded trees that flanked the road.

Y/n's fingers absently played with the ends of his scarf, a reminder of his sister—orange and black stripes, the last piece she had knitted for him. His reverie was broken by the local police officer in the passenger seat, who turned to address them with a hint of bemusement in his tone.

"So, tell me, Yanqui... why did you come to this horrible place? As close to nowhere that I've ever seen?" The officer chuckled.

Leon responded without turning, his gaze still fixed on the dark landscape outside. "Let's just say—looking for someone."