• Slow Down •

I walk to the lake with Cerulean and Lachlan, each of us carrying a couple of water bottles with what seems to be automatic filtering systems in them. We found them in bags and crates inside the cornucopia.

“Elliee.” Cerulean says in a cheerful voice. She’s taken on the nickname she heard Jewel call me in the training center.

“Yes, Cerulean?” I ask, looking over at her as we crouch down next to the water.

“Do you wanna go hunt for tributes with me and Blue later?” She asks, like it was a casual thing.

“Oh, sure!” I respond, forcing a smile. At least I could watch out for my actual allies in the games.

We fill up the bottles and begin walking back. Lachlan stops us quickly, putting a finger up to his lips and walking closer to the treeline. Me and Cerulean follow him quietly, Cerulean pulling her knife out just in case. We hear the voices that obviously made Lachlan stop.

“Maysen, you have to hurry. Climb, sweetie!’ A boy's voice whispers from somewhere above us, followed by a small thud and whine.

“Wilde, I can't!” A young girl says. I move closer, as do Lachlan and Cerulean.

“May, grab onto this branch and then grab my hand.” Wilde says, whisper-yelling down.

I can see movement at the bottom of a tree. I watch a brown haired girl reach up to try and grab the hand of the tribute in the tree, but she’s just barely too short to reach.

She jumps up and grabs it, Wilde trying to pull her up.

Lachlan nudges me, nodding his head at the tree.

“Let’s get ‘em.” He whispers. Him and Cerulean start creeping forward, and I slowly follow them.

“You alright?” I hear Wilde ask Maysen. We’re closer now, almost under the tree, and I can see they’re really not that high up.

“Hey there, Buttons!” Lachlan calls up the tree, laughing at the panic the two from 12 have at the noise. Me and Cerulean walk out into the open, smiling. Maysen’s lower lip quivers, and I observe the girl fully for the first time.

Brown hair in pigtails, bright green eyes, but most importantly, a little button nose. Buttons.

“Please don’t!” Maysen pleads, tears forming in her eyes.

I look over at the boy, Wilde. He’s older, taller. Scruffy black hair and brown eyes. He has one arm wrapped around the girl, and the other is holding a small pocket knife. Like that would do anything.

“Hey pretty boy, wanna come down and talk?” Cerulean says, giggling. She tilts her head and waves.

“Please- please just leave us alone.” Wilde begs, terrified.

“Get them down, Capella.” Lachlan says, nudging me. I move towards the tree. I don’t want to do this, but what choice do I have?

“Stop! Don’t come up, or I'll-” Wilde hesitates, "I'll stab you!”

Wilde points his knife down at me, but I don’t stop. I climb up, and he stands up on his branch, trying to reach the branch above, but he slips. He grabs onto Maysen, trying to hold on and not fall, but he just drags her down with him.

“Wilde!” She screams, the two of them hitting the ground hard. I watch as Cerulean walks over to them, spinning the knife in her hand. She stands over Maysen and runs the side of the knife down her cheek, smiling.

“Don’t worry, it won’t hurt.” Cerulean says before lifting the knife and stabbing it into the side of her neck. A cannon shot sounds.