How to have a like-able OC

One of the hardest things in writing, to be honest, is making a nice OC.

You want them to be soft, but also need them to be able to stand up for themselves.

You want them to be badass, but also have them to cry/have feelings too.

You want them to be quiet, but how are you gonna write the story if the OC never speaks?

I think some of the hardest things in writing is to give your OC a personality and keep that personality, unless they have a lot of development.

Like Rose in my story Mirrorball was supposed to be a golden retriever/soft girl, but as soon as all the trauma started, I found myself no longer being able to really write her like that.

I did manage to do it with Siren from Hiraeth and Joan from Metanoia. Siren stayed 'badass', but her character development made her less closed up. Joan kept making jokes, but did grow out of some things.

I gave my first few OC's barely any personality, lol. One time they were badass, then they were soft, then they were closed up... yeah.

So choose some valid things! Yes, love a badass OC, but don't make them too unstoppable— give them feelings and allow them to smile as they develop. Get what I mean??

(Yeah, I'm giving all these tips while I'm struggling myself ahah)