02 How to be a failure 101

Darshan's POV

"Be polite and don't forget to make a puppy dog face." Gupta instructs me as we turn into an abandoned building, and I shoot him a puzzled look.

"This is where she lives?" I ask, eyeing the rusty walls and flickering lights in the parking lot, feeling like I'm in a horror movie.

"Are you sure you aren't going to kill me and cement my body into the ceiling or something?" I continue, and Gupta raises an eyebrow.

"Not why we're here, but thanks for the suggestions for the future!" His sheepish smile gives me a split-second scare.

"You sick son of a gun!" I mock him.

Gupta nods at the bouncer, and we push through the noise-muffling thick doors. We weave through people boxing in separate rings, the stench of sweat making me a little nauseous. As we approach the center of the crowd cheering for the boxers, Gupta slips between the animatedly muscled/ jacked/ huge adults. "Emma!! Alex!! Emma!! Alex!! Emma!! Alex!!" The crowd screams in joy and anticipation and My eyes find her, her wrapped hand meeting the guy's jaw (probably Alex), and unlike the movies, he doesn't go flying in slow motion. Instead, he fixes his bruised jaw and attacks her with a series of strong punches. She dodges the first few, but then he lands a punch to her stomach, and she falls on her back.

He offers her a hand, but then kicks her leg, causing her to fall on her knees. She quickly gets back up, defending her face as Alex attacks again. With another dodge, she's back in the game, landing strong punches without giving him a chance to fight back. She leaps, and her final punch sends him falling on his face as blood splatters from his mouth. Emma wipes her sweat-drenched face with her bloodied hands as the bell rings, and the referee declares her the winner.

"Ms. Matthew!" Gupta exclaims as we follow her outside the crowd.

"I'm so sorry to disturb you here, but could you spare a few minutes for us?" he asks, while Emma eyeing our ill-fitting clothes for the setting. She gestures for us to follow her and settles in a corner bench below the air conditioner. She splashes water on her face from her bottle and wipes it with a towel.

Gupta clears his throat, "So—" but Emma cuts him off.

"Let him talk for himself, Gupta. Go get yourself some snacks from the vending machine until then." she dismisses him, and he complies without another word, giving me an apologetic glance before strutting away.

"I—um. I'm innocent." I state, unsure how to start the conversation.

"You'll have to prove that in court. I'm not the judge." she replies, leaning against the wall and gesturing for me to sit beside her.

"I need your help to win the case." I clarify.

"Isn't that Gupta's job? I'm not your attorney, Raval." she responds with a soft, genuine chuckle.

"I know it's not ethical for us to ask for your help, but we're unfortunately lacking evidence. And I'm not asking for a freebie here; I'm ready to pay you for the favor." I say, watching as her back straightens, her gaze averted.

"Your daddy's money can't buy you everything, Darshan. If you're truly innocent, I'm sure you'll have proof." she retorts, standing up and beginning to walk away, toward limping Alex, who wraps his arm around her neck.

"It's not my daddy's money! I've worked hard for every penny since I was fourteen. I know what struggle is, and that's why I WANT TO SAVE WHAT'S MINE!" I almost lose my temper. But she doesn't look back; instead, she walks away chatting with Alex.

"You almost broke my pretty face today!" he complains, and she laughs, shaking her head. Their chatter soon gets lost in the ambiance of the room as they leave my sight.

***

Feeling apprehensive, I adjust my blazer and step into the semi-filled courtroom, cameras already set up. Gupta straightens my tie, and the hearing begins.

The judge clears their throat, calling for attention. "Good morning, everyone. We are reconvening for the continuation of the case of Mr. Darshan Raval versus Mr. Nikhil Arjun." they announce, stressing the importance of fairness and adherence to the law. "Now, let us proceed with the presentation of evidence and arguments. Mr. Gupta, you may begin."

Gupta addresses the judge, requesting permission to present evidence illustrating Darshan Raval's creative process. The judge nods in agreement, and Gupta begins explaining music direction and how the work might have been created.

During Gupta's presentation, Emma stands abruptly, "Your Honor, I must object to the line of questioning and evidence being presented by the defense. What Mr. Gupta is explaining is purely hypothetical and speculative. Presenting drafts, sketches, or recordings of Mr. Raval's creative process does not constitute concrete proof of originality. Without verifiable evidence directly linking Mr. Raval's work to the disputed composition, we cannot consider these materials as vital proof. I urge the court to focus on admissible evidence that directly addresses the allegations of copyright infringement. Thank you, Your Honor."

"Ms. Mathew raises a valid point. The evidence presented by the defense appears to be speculative and does not directly address the allegations of copyright infringement. While understanding Mr. Gupta's intention to demonstrate Mr. Raval's creative process, we must focus on admissible evidence that directly pertains to the case at hand. Therefore, I sustain Ms. Mathew's objection and will not consider the evidence presented by the defense as vital proof. Mr. Gupta, please proceed with evidence that directly addresses the allegations of copyright infringement." With this ruling, the judge dismissed the proof presented by Gupta and redirected the proceedings to focus on admissible evidence.

Gupta admits to lacking further proof, so the judge lets Emma come forward to investigate the case further. "Your Honor, I request permission to call Mr. Darshan Raval to the witness box for questioning. His testimony is crucial to clarify key aspects of the case and determine the validity of the copyright infringement claims. May I proceed?" With a subtle smirk, Emma proceeds.

"Request granted!" says the judge and I walk towards the witness box. As I stand in the witness box, fidgeting nervously, accidentally knock over a stack of papers making Emma chuckle at my clumsiness.

"Perhaps Mr. Gupta needs to teach you courtroom etiquette." She mocks me prompting laughter from the courtroom.

"More reasons why I should stick to making music instead of being in court." I reply sheepishly.

The audience laughs, and Emma continues, "So, Mr. Raval, let's try this again. Can you please describe the process of composing your music?"

I straighten up, determined to redeem myself, "Well, it all starts with a melody in my head, and then I bring it to life with my guitar."

Emma nods, "And how would you describe your creative process when it comes to developing new songs?"

I quip, "Lots of caffeine and late nights, with the occasional inspiration from my cat."

The courtroom erupts in laughter, and even the judge can't help but crack a smile. As we continue the banter, Gupta smacks his face with his palm, dreadfully embarrassed of what the case has become. I watch as Emma keeps back the file she was fidgeting with, declaring she had no further proof to present. Gupta sheepishly mouths to me, "The plan is working!!" With both his thumbs in the air.

***

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!!
See y'all soon!!