1 - foster home

Johnnie

"Are we sure we want this one?"

"It's not like we really have a choice."

"He will make us the most money."

"But he's the oldest one here."

"Still, we have to choose him."

I heard chattering outside of my adoption center room. I was, yet again, going to be placed in a foster home. Great. I hope I get better caretakers this time.

The door to my room opened, and in walked the manager of the center with a man and a woman.

"Ok, Johnnie. These lovely fellows will be your caretakers for now! Why don't you get to know them a bit?" The manager said before leaving the room.

I know how this goes. The parents take me into their care for about a month for the money, and then bring me back once they've earned as much as they need.

And this time, I understand why they want to choose me. The 'parents' who care for children with disabilities get paid far more than any other child they will find here. And I have depression and anxiety.

"I haven't even introduced myself to you, yet. Apologies. My name is Frank, and this is Marie." The man said with a thick accent, holding his hand out for me to shake.

I hesitated before shaking his hand. The woman, Marie, didn't say anything. She just stared at me. With a look of... What is it? Disgust? No. Shock? I don't know.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

We sat in silence for the rest of the five minutes they were supposed to 'get to know' me.

As the manager walked back into my room, she led me and my caretakers over to the reception desk and did some paperwork.

Once they finished up, I walked out of the adoption center, feeling some sort of relief. Well, it's not like I got adopted or anything... But at least I'm out of that stupid, crummy building.

The man opened the backseat of the car for me, and I hopped in. It was a nice car. Very expensive.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The ride didn't last long. It was only about 10-15 minutes. We pulled up in front of what looked to be a mansion. Woah. I've never actually lived in a mansion before. Much rather been inside of one.

I followed my caretakers up the steps and into the mansion, looking around in awe. It looked so fancy. There was a dazzling chandelier above my head that was so giant it looked like the size of the moon.

"Ok, you're gonna follow me up to your room, ok?" The man, Frank, said to me. I followed him up the marble staircase to -what looked to be- a normal sized bedroom.

I placed my bags on the bedroom floor, looking around. This has to be a dream. It's so nice in here. Too nice.

I'm going to a new school tomorrow, so hopefully I'll meet new people. Maybe even some friends... I'm so tired right now. It wouldn't hurt to just take a small nap, right?

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••