Chapter 1

Miracle

It was a usual Saturday morning in town. At a street crossing, a young girl with blonde hair, no older than 16, named Madison "Maddie" Thompson seriously annoyed at Barney's antics, a 10-year-old brother that would rather play games on his Nintendo DS, than stay with her boring sister. That day, she was wearing a yellow cropped hoodie that was unzipped, over a strapless short red tube top. She also wears blue jeans & red/yellow sneakers. She has crimson fingerless gloves.

She groaned loudly. "Seriously. If looking after a brother was gonna be THIS freakin' hard, I wouldn't have opted for it!"

Barney smirked. "Well... it is!"

Someone called her on her phone. It was her bestie. "H-Hey, Lisa!"

"Oh my gosh," Lisa groaned. "I can't believe you're babysitting, girl! You shouldn't be doin' that. Me & Lance are gonna host a party at my house!"

"Wow, that's pretty rad, girl, but yeah, sorry. I gotta watch after my bro." Maddie sighed.

All of a sudden, Barney strolled through the street crossing, on a red light. Maddie's eyes widened in terror, closing the phone, as a truck (it looked like a Ford F-150, but she didn't give a damn what it looked like) hurled towards Barney.

"NO!!!" Maddie shouted.

Maddie pushed Barney out of the way, and then...

CRACK!

THUD!

She's run over. The man in the car gets out, panic lacing his face. The passenger looks at her body, trying to hold back horror. Barney notices the whole ordeal and runs over.

"No, no, no, no, NO!!!! This can't be happening!" Barney shouted as he rushed over to her sister's body, panicking.

A few meters away from Boost, stand two men, looking at the situation with a neutrality laced with determination. The first man has a suit with dress shoes, with neatly styled dirty blonde hair, whereas the other wears a black hoodie, black jeans, black Timberland boots, black fingerless gloves & black aviators. Their names are Andy Brooks and Officer David Johnson. They were invisible.

Andy coughed. "Bloody 'ell." He said in an Aussie accent. "This is the same way I passed 6 years ago."

Dave rolled his eyes. "I feel ya. Let's just say, finding a soul not killed by a Forsaken is not easy nowadays..."

"Aw, c'mon, matey, it's easy - you need to just look - and you'll find what you want."

Dave looked away. "Y'know what? You make this looker easier than it freakin' is. Now when do we make our move?"

"When she gets delivered to her restin' place, you drongo." Andy snorted.

Andy shrugged as he moved backward, Dave staring right at his soul. "Andy, listen. We're SoulDefenders, we protect the living from threats they can't see." Dave declared. "You're missing the damn point right now!"

Andy scoffed. "Don't give me that look, lad. We can't blow our cover or we're as dead as an emu hunted down by Iban headhunters."

"Funny thing: You lost against 'em." Dave retorted.

Andy's smirk faltered for a moment, a flicker of annoyance crossing his features before he regained his composure. "Look, the girl's soul's gonna separate from her body soon. We need to be ready to catch it before the Forsaken do."

"Agreed. This whole business is getting deeper by the hour." Dave coughed.

A hidden portal shimmered into existence in a dark alleyway. Andy and Dave walked through, disappearing in a flash of light. The portal flickers and fades moments later.