Chapter 3

To Protect and Serve

2007

Two years had passed since Barney's coma, and everything seemed great with Barney on the path to recovery. He celebrated leaving an arcade after leaving with his friends. Madison, Dave, and Lydia watched from far away. 

Dave smirked. "Told ya he'd move on. Just needed to give 'im time."

"I know. He's changed dramatically these 3 years since I revealed myself to 'im."

Spitfire wiped a stray tear from her cheek, a mixture of pride and sadness welling up inside her. She's overjoyed to see Boost thriving again, but a part of her grieves the brother she lost. But the carefree, reckless boy who lived with pure joy is back again.

Barney emerged from the arcade, his friends trailing behind him, all animatedly discussing the latest high score. He looked...different. Taller, broader, a hint of muscle definition peeked through his light grey, blue, short-sleeved T-shirt. Gone was the scrawny, awkward 10-year-old boy Madison left behind; in his place stood a 13-year-old radiating a newfound confidence.

His best friends in town, Terry and Josiah, and his cousin Drake were having fun. 

Drake smirked at Barney. "Dude, I swear. It's good to see the old you again."

Barney grinned, bumping fists with Drake. "Yeah, man. That coma did wonders for my video game skills, wouldn't you say?"

"Uh-huh. Wonders that conveniently kicked in right after you lost to me ten times in a row at Street Fighter."

"Come on, man. Don't be a sore loser."

Josiah playfully shoved Terry back. 

"Easy for you to say, Mr. I-don't-even-play-fighting-games."

"So, guys?" Barney raised an eyebrow. "Erm, what's next?"

Terry, a lanky boy with a mop of dark hair, shrugged. 

"Dunno. Maybe grab some pizza at Sal's?"

Josiah grinned. "Actually, there's this new horror movie playing at the Starlight Cinema. Wanna check it out?"

Barney's eyes widened. 

"A horror movie? You serious, Josiah? You know I hate those things."

Barney saw Madison a few miles away, and gulped. He looked at Josiah & Terry. "Could you guys excuse for a moment?"

Terry smirked. "Oh. 'Kay, man, do whatever you need."

Barney approached the three, but he can only see Madison - Lydia & Dave were invisible. Madison smirked. Barney threw his arms against her in a hug as she smirked. 

"Hey, sis." Barney greeted her, smirking.

"Happy to see become who you were before... that thing 2 years ago."

"Hey, most of it was you helping me move on by revealing yourself to me."
Barney chuckled as his sister pulled him in for a tickle. 

"Who's my little champ? You! You deserve ten tickles for that!"

As Madison wrestled him playfully, Barney shot a glance towards his friends, worry flickering in his eyes. 

 "Hey, I can't stay long. They're waiting for me."

"I know." Madison sighed, releasing him.

"So, what's next? Any big plans for this, uh future gig of yours?"

"There's always something, you know that. The Forsaken never truly rest. But for now, I'm just happy to see you happy... once again." Madison smirkd.

"Yeah, me too. Hey, listen... there's something I've been wanting to ask you."