Prologue

TW: mention of blood
blood
death
mention of death
death of parents
(Not detailed descriptions of them.)
_____________________________________________

Third person POV

The siblings were playing while picking edible berries to eat. They were chuckling as Y/n played around, a bright smile on her face.

"Sister!" Safír laughed at Y/n as she jumped on to his back. They were walking in the snow home, Y/n was currently nine years old and he was twelve. "Come on! Let's go home already, brother! It's getting late." She giggled, jumping off of his back again and taking his hand, leading him home.

As they walked home, Safír suddenly smelled something.. Blood. He covered his sister's eyes and sat her down on the floor. "Sister. Stay here for a moment, will you? I'll come back soon." The young girl nodded, watching as her brother ran in the direction of their home quickly.

She waited for him there, after a few minutes he came back with a horrified look on his face. "Y/n. We need to get away from here." This worried her, her eyes widening. He never called her by her name like that, and he never looked so scared before. Despite this, Y/n got up and took his hand before they started to run in the opposite direction of their home.

Safír's POV

I don't know where I'm going. I looked back at my sister who is running beside me, a bit behind as I dragged her along faster. I know we need to get out of here.. I can't get their faces out of my head. The blood, their lifeless eyes, I didn't look at them for long, but I could tell some of their body parts were gone. I'll have to tell my sister soon, but I can't now. We just have to find somewhere to go. Anywhere away from here. I can't let my sister have the same fate. I won't let her die.

My sister is only nine. I'll keep her safe. We kept running.. I don't know how long we ran. She's too young for this.. We're too young for this. Why is this happening? What did we do to deserve this? My sister is only a child, so what is she being punished for? Questions keep spiraling inside of my head, but I can't afford to stop now. A voice broke me out of my thoughts. "What happened? Where are we going?" My sister asked. I looked at her with the best smile I could make at the moment. "Don't worry about it, we just.. Have to go somewhere else." I replied, my voice quiet as I tried to reassure her. I could tell she wanted to ask more questions as she opened her mouth to speak, but she hesitated and didn't say anything instead.

After two hours of running, she is now sleeping on my back, I was carrying her. She is too young to run for a long time. I looked forward, there was a small abandoned minka. That's good, we can stay there for now. I took her inside and laid her down on a tatami mat, patting her on the head. I'm tired, I feel dizzy. I'll just sleep for a bit. Don't worry, Y/n.. I'll keep you safe. I laid down on another tatami mat and closed my eyes, falling asleep almost immediately.

The next morning when I woke up, I saw my sister smiling at me, she had two baskets full of berries in her hands. "You were asleep, I could tell you were tired so I got some food for us!" She exclaimed happily, I could tell she was still uneasy because of yesterday, but she trusted me. I smiled back at her and sat up before hugging her. I was about to say something but she beat me to it. "So.. I saw someone today while you were asleep, they had some sort of uniform on and they had a sword!" She sounded excited, I looked at her with confusion and slight worry. Someone wearing a uniform that had a sword? Yeah.. I don't want someone like that near my sister.

"Alright, so I talked to him because I was intrigued and he told me he was part of the demon slayer corps!" She made hand movements. "He even let me hold his sword!" She looked excited, I took her hand in mine and smiled narrowly. "Sister, that person sounds dangerous. Demons aren't real, they were lying, surely." I said, but maybe I was wrong.. I need to hear more from her. "But.. Did they say anything else?" She giggled and nodded, squeezing my hand slightly. "Yeah! They said demons eat humans, that they are really strong, have 'blood demon arts' and that the demon slayer corps was something unrecognised by the government." I was surprised, what if my parents deaths were because of a demon.. No, it was just a bear. Probably.. Hopefully..? I just hugged her and ran my fingers through her h/c locks. She was slightly surprised by the sudden hug but smiled anyway. "He said.. That maybe when I'm older, I can become a demon slayer.. Then he left, he said he was on a mission." She whispered, I didn't want her to become a 'demon slayer.' Even if demons are real, I don't want her to get hurt. It would be too dangerous.

I let go of her and she stood up, still holding my hand and taking me to the corner, where there were two wooden swords. "He gave me these, so that we could both train to be a demon slayer. Do you think, that we could become demon slayers?" She asked, turning her head towards me with her usual smile on her face. "Of course, you're a strong girl, Y/n." I chuckled.

_____________________________________________

Time skip

_____________________________________________

Y/n's POV

I'm twelve now and Safír is fifteen. We've been training to become a demon slayer for a year, since I was eleven. I wanted to earlier but my brother said it was too dangerous. It took a lot of convincing to get him to finally let me train to become one.

I'm training with my brother, he's stronger than me.. But that's only because he's older. I'll become stronger. He keeps worrying about me, but I'm fine. I know he's just trying to protect me.

After a few more minutes, he walked up to me and patted me on the head. "Good job." He smiled at me, patting me on the shoulder before taking my hand and leading me back to the minka.

Safír's POV

"I need to train more, brother.. I'm not a child anymore." My sister looked at me, frowning narrowly. All that I could see was a pout. I just chuckle and pick her up. "Not if I can still pick you up your not!" I laugh, she tried to stay serious but after a few seconds she started laughing too.

We finished our food quickly since it was late and then laid down on our tatami mats. We fell asleep quickly, in a few days Y/n was turning thirteen. Then two months after that, we're going to go to final selection. It's why my sister has been training more than usual.