Chapter 4 - Roommates

Hannah and Lottie were in a line to get registered whilst Binah was talking about a sculpture that they had spotted.
"What kind of sculptures do people make in your country?"
"Lottie and I aren't actually-"
"Hi! Welcome to Rosewood. Name please?" We had got to the front of the line whilst Hannah was trying to explain that they weren't actually from a different country.
"I'm Hannah Pumpkin," the prefect started typing on a computer.
"Pumpkin?! I didn't know your last names were Pumpkin," Binah sounded surprised.
"Room 314. You are in Balthazar Conch. Here is your timetable. Enjoy your time at Rosewood."
Hannah hoped that she was in the same house as Lottie.
"Room 221. You are in Florence Ivy. Here is your timetable. Enjoy your time at Rosewood."
"Awhh! We're not in the same house. I won't be able to annoy you as much," Lottie joked.
"Heh, I bet you're gonna miss me as much as I won't miss you," Hannah lied.
"Meet me and the others here at 7pm for the welcoming speech and fireworks, Lottie," Binah turned to Hannah, "Feel free to come along unless you make friends in your year. Your Year 8 right?"
Hannah simply nodded.
Lottie was walking up the stairs to see if she had a new roommate, so did Hannah.

________________________________________

Hannah was on the 3rd floor, counting the door numbers to find 314.
312, 313, 314!
It was clear that she had a roommate because they had carelessly left the door open.
Kind, brave, unstoppable.
She knocked before going in, knowing it was rude to go in without doing so.
To Hannah's surprise, her half of the room was quite clean and simplistic. She must have got there a while ago because she was already fully unpacked. Desks were on both sides of the room. On Hannah's roommate's side, there were pictures of her family, hung up pictures of her in a fencing kit, holding trophies and shelves with many textbooks. There was also a violin with a book of sheet music in one of the corners that said, "Grade 7 Violin Exam Pieces," on top of that book was, "Grade 6 Piano Exam Pieces."
"Are you my new roommate? I'm Aimee but my friends call me Mimi. You are not yet considered a friend, just saying. So don't call me Mimi," Aimee said that blandly.
Atleast she said "yet."
"I'm Hannah," she decided to not mention her last name since she seemed like the person to make fun of it.
________________________________

Lottie was on the 2nd floor. She was just outside her room when she suddenly heard rock music playing. Lottie's roommate's side of the room was quite the opposite of Hannah's. Messy, chaotic and grubby. She spotted a picture of what seemed to be a younger version of her and an irritated-looking boy.
"I'm Ellie, Ellie Wolf."
"Lottie... Lottie Pumpkin."
"Pumpkin?" Lottie braced herself for minutes of laughter which always seemed like an eternity but the response was what the opposite of what Lottie expected,
"Cute."
Ellie seemed much.. friendlier than Aimee.

________________________________________

Hannah started to unpack. She made her bed neatly and placed her stuffed toys among the pillows neatly. Her favourite was a bunny plushie which was blue and had pink spots all around that blended in. She named the bunny, Lana.
"You sleep with toys?"
"What's wrong with that?"
Aimee muttered under her breath, "Childish.." Hannah still heard her. If Aimee was her roommate for the rest of her years at Rosewood, she should make an effort to be nice.
"Do you want to meet up to watch the fireworks together?"
"Only because you'd probably cry if I said no," came the reply.
Well it wasn't a "No."