Double Trouble

As I stand at the airport, my heart races with anticipation. India, a land rich in culture and history, awaits. But what excites me even more than playing on such a grand stage is the prospect of meeting the enigmatic Miss Mandhana. My flight is set to depart in an hour, and I'm ready for this journey with my best friends, Alyssa and Sophie.

Sophie's voice snaps me out of my thoughts. "Pez, Pez, are you even listening to me? I've been calling you for five minutes now. Where are you lost?"

I chuckle nervously. "Nowhere, why would you think that?"

Alyssa smirks. "Are you sure, mate? I've noticed you've been getting lost in your thoughts a lot lately. What—or should I say who—are you thinking about?"

"Guys, stop. I was just thinking about the upcoming tournament, that's all," I say with a shrug, trying to deflect their teasing.

Sophie isn't buying it. "Yeah, right. We definitely believe that," she says sarcastically. "Mate, we've known you for a long time. We know you have a rule about not worrying about cricket off the field. So, tell us, what's really on your mind?"

I take a deep breath. "You guys know Miss Mandhana, right?" They both nod. "Yeah, her. She's so mysterious. You've seen how she doesn't open up to anyone. I just want to see the real her behind all this facade. I'm intrigued by her, and this tournament might be a good chance to get to know her better."

Alyssa looks concerned. "Pez, you're not a kid, so I'm not going to lecture you. But be careful. Don't dig too deep into her past; it might hurt her."

"I know, guys. Just chill. Don't worry about it. I'll handle everything like always. I'm an all-rounder, after all," I say with a wink. They laugh, but I can tell they're praying nothing goes wrong.

A couple of hours later, we land at Mumbai International Airport. Exhausted, all I want to do is sleep, but I have to shoot an arrival video for RCB and meet some of the staff members first. Finally, I collapse into bed and fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.

The next morning, feeling refreshed, I follow my morning routine and head to the dining room for breakfast

The next morning, feeling refreshed, I follow my morning routine and head to the dining room for breakfast. I see some of my teammates, but I'm searching for that one face that has captivated my attention.

Sophie notices. "The one you're looking for isn't having breakfast with us today. She informed the management she'd join the team tomorrow."

"Why?" I ask, frustrated.

"I don't know. The manager said it's due to some personal issues, and they can't disclose it."

I can't hold back my irritation. "Reporting time was today! How can she get away with this? Are we all fools for arriving on time while she gets special treatment? Where's her discipline and commitment to the game?"

Sophie tries to calm me down. "Everyone's listening, mate. Don't make a scene on the first day."

The manager approaches us, and I explain my concerns. He listens patiently before replying, "Ma'am, with due respect, we follow our rules and guidelines strictly. We wouldn't have allowed Miss Mandhana any leeway if the matter wasn't serious. We support our players when they need it, and we would do the same for you."

After he leaves, Sophie looks at me disappointedly. "Seriously, Pez? You've probably created enmity with the one you were so curious about. She'll hear about your conversation with the manager, and don't forget, she's our captain."

I sigh. "I did what I thought was right. Maybe not in the best way, but still."

Sophie just shakes her head, and I feel a pang of guilt. What a way to start my first season with the franchise. Why, God, why can't I just shut up for once in my life?