Trouble in paradise

Match Report: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs. UP Warriorz, 24 February 2024

The Women's Premier League match between Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) and UP Warriorz on 24 February 2024 at the Wankhede Stadium was an edge-of-the-seat thriller that saw RCB clinch a narrow victory in a high-stakes contest.

UP Warriorz won the toss and elected to bowl first, looking to exploit the early morning conditions. Their bowlers, led by the experienced Shabnim Ismail and Anjali Sarvani, began strongly, putting pressure on the RCB openers, Smriti Mandhana and Sophie Devine. Mandhana, known for her aggressive start, was kept in check and eventually fell for 21 off 18 balls, misjudging a slower ball from Sarvani that she lofted to mid-off.

Devine, taking a more cautious approach, managed to score 19 off 25 balls before being trapped LBW by Ismail, leaving RCB at 45 for 2. Heather Knight and Richa Ghosh then took the crease, aiming to rebuild the innings. Knight played some elegant strokes, while Ghosh provided the aggression, their partnership pushing the score forward. However, Knight's innings was cut short at 34 off 28 balls, courtesy of a smart catch at long-on by Rajeshwari Gayakwad.

Ghosh continued her aggressive approach, smashing boundaries and keeping the run rate healthy. She found a reliable partner in Pooja Vastrakar, who added a crucial 28 off 20 balls. Ghosh's entertaining knock ended at 41 off 30 balls when she was caught at deep mid-wicket. Some late hitting by Megan Schutt and Sophie Ecclestone helped RCB post a competitive total of 157 for 6 in their 20 overs. Gayakwad was the standout bowler for UP Warriorz, with figures of 2 for 26.

In pursuit of 158, UP Warriorz had a rocky start, losing Alyssa Healy early to a superb delivery from Schutt that bowled her for 9. The pressure intensified when Shweta Sehrawat and Kiran Navgire were dismissed in quick succession, leaving UP Warriorz struggling at 35 for 3. Tahlia McGrath and Deepti Sharma then formed a crucial partnership, stabilizing the innings. McGrath's aggressive 45 off 33 balls included some delightful shots, but her dismissal, bowled by a yorker from Devine, put RCB back on top.

Sharma took the mantle, rotating the strike efficiently and finding the boundary when needed. Her well-crafted 39 off 28 balls kept UP Warriorz in the hunt, but her dismissal, caught off Ecclestone, was a significant blow. With the required run rate climbing, the middle and lower order had their work cut out. Anjali Sarvani's quickfire 18 off 10 balls provided a glimmer of hope, but it wasn't enough as UP Warriorz ended their innings at 155 for 7, falling just short.

Pooja Vastrakar bowled a tight final over, holding her nerve and restricting the scoring. Schutt's impressive figures of 3 for 24 and Devine's all-round performance (2 wickets and a vital cameo with the bat) were instrumental in RCB's narrow 2-run victory.

RCB's win was a testament to their resilience and teamwork. The disciplined bowling, crucial partnerships, and strategic captaincy by Smriti Mandhana ensured they defended their total successfully. The thrilling contest showcased the high competitive spirit of the Women's Premier League, with RCB emerging victorious in a match that kept fans glued to their seats until the very last ball.

Post-match celebrations are in full swing in the RCB dressing room after their narrow 2-run victory over UP Warriorz. Pez and her teammates decide to pull a prank on Smriti, who is still buzzing from the win.

---

Pez:"Alright team, we need to have a little fun to celebrate this victory. I've got a prank idea for Smriti. Who's in?"

Team (in unison):"We're in!"

Pez: "Great! Here's the plan. We'll make her think she's won a surprise MVP award with a twist."

---
Smriti's POV

I was called into the locker room, which is decorated with streamers and a makeshift stage. The team is gathered, clapping and cheering.