Night 16

THE KNOCK ON THE DOOR jolted Saifah to his feet, the darkness outside contrasting the chaos in his bedroom. His suitcase lay open on the floor, clothes in disarray on the bed, and the record playing on repeat. How come it was already that late? After a brief moment of confusion, he hurried to answer the door.

Zon entered, prompting a surge of excitement that Saifah had to contain with crossed arms. “So what brings you here again?” he asked, a tease tinting his tone.

“My need to bug you a bit longer before you leave for those two weeks.” Zon smiled, but as he glanced over the half-packed suitcase, he hesitated. “You sure I'm not a burden…?”

“I'm sure.”

It was a lie. Zon's presence was distracting and Saifah was far from being ready for his two weeks long onboarding trip. But how could he ever say no to Zon's companionship? Especially now, when soon they’d be left with text messages only?

“Oh shit, you've got a player!”

Saifah followed Zon with his eyes. He crouched in front of Saifah's red shelf displaying the brand new turntable and watched the spinning record with awe. When Saifah took a step closer, Zon turned to him with a playful glint.

“So?” he asked. “Who are you trying to impress, huh?” His question echoed their past jokes, something that tickled Saifah's mouth to turn up.

“You were right,” he said after a heartbeat, his fingers running along the edge of the shelf. “It's not like my grandpa wanted them to catch the dust. That’s not why he gathered them.”

Carefully, he slid one of the records out of the sleeve and placed it under the needle with high precision. The soulful hum of Jorgia Smith filled the space, wrapping them in a cozy, jazzy atmosphere. Saifah sat down, followed by Zon, his gaze intense and warm, sending a prickling sensation across Saifah's skin.

If eyes were windows to one's soul, Zon kept his hidden behind sheer curtains. Transparent enough to show the turmoil of his thoughts, too thick to reveal the crucial details. Saifah longed to tear down the veil and see what lay beneath, but the fear was too binding. What if his discovery would shatter his hopes…?

“So…” Zon's voice was small. “How was your date?”

Saifah licked his lips and shrugged. “Basic.” Or rather, had never happened. He turned his eyes away, his lies stinging his tongue. “I guess,” he stuttered in hope to ease the sensation, “I'd rather spend that time with you.”

His pulse rang in his ears, a second lasting an hour. But Zon didn't even bat an eye. “You should've then.”

Zon's words washed over Saifah's body, sneaking around his chest like serpents of flames. He opened his mouth to add something more, but Saifah was faster, “You still owe me a kiss,” rolling off of his tongue.

This time, it was Zon who was taken aback until a bulb of recognition lit up his face. Although his promise after the party was (most likely) a joke, Saifah wasn’t going to let it slide. With gravity, he set his eyes on Zon, and Zon shifted, the corners of his mouth curled slightly up. His figure was softened with a golden glow of dimmed lights, his touch light as a feather.

The kiss was anything but a quick thank you Saifah had expected—their lips moved without a rush, a slow dance reflecting months of their connection. It was as if the time stood still, Saifah grazing Zon's ear lobe with his thumb, their breaths mingled together. Short curls slipped through his fingertips, Zon's hand pressed to his chest. If Zon sensed the lava rushing through Saifah's veins, he didn't seem to mind. On the contrary, he deepened the kiss, his joy sparkling his breathing.