2 - Ahmed

I woke up to the sun burning me. As I up, I looked around me. I had believed that this was all a dream, but evidently, it was not. I really was stuck in the desert, wasn't I? I got up to my feet and started walking in the direction in which I was walking yesterday. I was starving and dehydrated. Surely I would not survive more than another day here in the desert.

I was starting to think about food and water, and after a while, I saw what seemed like a small lake. I ran over to it, sat down beside it, and put both my hands into the water. As soon as my hands touched the clear, still water, I felt pain and pain and pain. I pulled my hands out and looked over to the water. I didn't see any water. All I saw was sizzling sand. That was it. I was going crazy.

"My name is Ahmed Al-Mansouri and I am from Iraq." I repeatedly muttered to myself as I continued my journey. I thought I may forget who I was, but no memories left my brain. I forgot nothing.

I sat down on the top of a sand dune and started to dig. Maybe I would find some food or water buried in the sand. I dug for a few minutes, but with no reward. I tested my luck on a few more sand dunes before finally, after much effort and exhaustion, a large black suitcase revealed itself before me. I opened it up to find small bags and bottles and fabrics stored inside.

As I took them out, I examined each and everything that was inside the bag. All the while, thanking my lord for this blessing that he had granted me was typically all that I could think to do. Or all I could think of before my brain processed what was going on. Because when it did, it decided to finally be a little useful. I wrote a list of everything I had in a small notebook:

    •    2 scarfs
    •    1 first aid kit
    •    2 compasses
    •    1 half-full Lighter
    •    3 torches
    •    2 half face balaclavas
    •    3 pairs of sunglasses
    •    2 notebooks
    •    3 pens
    •    1 blanket
    •    5 full water bottles
    •    5 bags full of cans of food
    •    2 can openers
    •    6 metal spoons
    •    6 metal forks
    •    6 metal knives
    •    3 small packets of sunflower seeds
    •    8 water filters
    •    1 broken glass bottle
    •    1 desert survival manual

These things were all I had to survive in the desert alone. They would only last me around two weeks or so. This is why I had to properly conserve my resources and look out for more (unless I resorted to digging up sand dunes again, but I'd prefer not to end up in that messy situation. Who knows what sort of creature would pop out to me next time I dig up a dune!)

I felt like I was reliving something, but in a different way. It was like remaking 'Life of Pi', but instead of being stuck in the Pacific, I was stuck in the desert. Instead of being with an animal like Richard Parker, I was on my own. But I had food and water. I had things to keep me going for a few days. So I would not give up, and I would remain steadfast.

I took a long sip out of one of the water bottles, then I took a food can out of the bag, along with a spoon and a can opener. After opening the can, I started eating what seemed to be chickpeas. They didn't taste that good, and they were green, but they were basically all I had to eat. I finished up the food, drinking up all the dark liquid that was left behind.

I had only been there for a day, but I couldn't see how I was going to survive any longer. I had a limited food and water supply. It was hot. The sun showed no mercy on me whatsoever. The thought of being bitten by a snake would not leave my head. Oh, how I longed to be home, arguing with my siblings over the TV remote. Or at school, chatting with my friends at lunch. Or even at the mall - one of the worst places ever - being embarrassed by dear mother. Anything would beat being stuck in a desert all on my own, but I guess that is not really my choice to make, is it?

I continued to walk under the heat of the merciless sun, looking down at the sand. I was approaching a rather large sand dune. I expected myself to walk on like this all day, only to look up and see a large man standing at the very top of the dune that I was approaching.

I felt a wave of hope surge over me. This may be my ticket out of this place!

"HEY! 'SCUSE ME! CAN YOU HELP ME?"

The man turned round. He saw me. He ran at me with a large knife in his hand.

It was too late to run.