Chapter 1: Birdie

Murder is fun.

The screams are music to my ears, and the fear on their faces is a sight for sore eyes. It can be a little messy sure, but the rush I get knowing a life is mine to take makes it all worth it. The money is good too, if you know who to work for, and I was about to make a pretty penny as I stared at the woman I was hired to kill only a few days ago. She wasn't easy to find, hiding away in a safe house on the outskirts of town. She was the daughter of a local politician, so I knew she had the money to spare, and she was crying just like the last person I had down here. They just don't seem to enjoy death the way I do. Not that I blame them, even I found death to be scary at one point, but that just makes it way more fun. The only thing that made it hard was choosing a method, after all, there were so many to choose from. For instance, this woman was going to die as I poured acid down her throat, a method I chose as an apology for keeping her down here so long while I figured out exactly how I was going to end her.

"Please don't kill me" she sobbed as I brought the acid closer with a chuckle "Sorry, your begging isn't going to save you" After all, bills were due. "I have kids" she reasoned through tears as I shrugged "Not my problem Nancy." There was nothing she could do to save herself when the money was being wired as we spoke "Open up" I cooed, prying her mouth open with one hand and pouring the acid with the other, her screams quickly silenced as the acid burned through her vocal cords.

It was a quick, clean death. Brought forth by her own mother, rightfully so because Nancy had been sleeping with her own father, who I killed only a week ago today. Not even a minute after I sent the photo of her body did the money hit my account, signifying another job well done.

Now she was nothing but a corpse for me to get rid of, a pain in the ass honestly, but I needed the space that she took up on my table for other jobs. "Now to get rid of Nancy here" I muttered to myself gleefully before calling my only friend on this god-forsaken planet. As usual, he answered before the third ring, a habit I loved him for "Hey Birdie" he greeted, before getting straight to business "Got another body for me?" he asked knowingly.

I don't know what he does to the bodies after I hand them over, but I nodded to myself regardless "Yeah, I just finished with her" I said caressing the fresh corpse sweetly "You know where to drop her then?" he confirmed as I hummed, only slightly paying attention as I thought about when my next kill would be now that I had enough money to last me awhile.

"I'll see you soon then" he promised, hanging up, clearly not in the mood for small talk. Though he was lying because we never did actually see each other outside of school. It was a good system that kept us both in business though so I couldn't complain too much. "Jax is such a party pooper" I laughed to myself, tossing Nancy to the floor. It didn't surprise me that he was hot because his voice alone was enough to need a cold shower. I didn't know much about him, just who he hung around with in school, and that he was the go-to guy for body disposal. "Time to clean up" I laughed to myself as I stepped over the body carelessly.

...

"This should be fine" I muttered to myself, messing with my hair a bit as I prepared for school. I was only good at two things: killing, and fucking. I just had to wing it for everything else, including school. Luckily I wasn't completely alone since Jax, my body disposal friend, also happened to attend my classes. I doubt he realized I had figured him out, seeing as we never actually interacted outside of lessons and my constant stream of bodies that I paid him well to dispose of. He and his friends ran in completely different circles than I did when it came to school. While they were popular, I had made the decision to keep my head down without making waves. It was better for all of us that way, having real friends was much too complicated in my line of work. The drive to school was wet and slippery as last night's rain finally subsided, and life was already proving to be a bore without another job to think about, but what was a girl to do about that? I didn't always kill when hired. No. Sometimes I did it for fun, after all, I needed something to do between classes and work. All I needed was a target, and school was the best place to find one. Unfortunately, that would have to wait though because I had classes to attend.

...

"Birdie" A voice called for me as I sat down for lunch in my little corner of the cafeteria. The callout shocked me, and I was even more shocked when I saw four men approaching my table, Jax at the head of them. "Can we talk?" Jax asked as I set my gaze on the unfamiliar men behind him "I don't think we have much to talk about here" I said, I'd be fine talking to him during a job, but we didn't have much to talk about outside of work "We need a favor" one of the men said from behind him, but I merely shrugged "Sorry boys, I won't do sexual favors." At least not for free."It's not sexual, we just need some help," Jax laughed, piquing my interest. "Then sit, I'll see what I can do" I offered "We need you to date us," another of the group said quickly, immediately losing my interest "No." I wasn't about to get caught up in some sort of rom-com fake dating trope "Just hear us out please?" I knew it really couldn't hurt much to listen to them, but I was a stubborn bitch. It's not like any of them were ugly, quite the opposite actually, but looks didn't matter to me. What did matter were skills, and so far I knew only Jax had skills that would be of use to me, "Fine, explain it to me" I said, leaving no room for argument "There's this guy, John Argyle, he moves the best product in the city, but he only works with women" Jax explained before motioning to himself and his friends "We don't exactly fit the bill" I knew who John Argyle was, everyone knew who he was, but I knew him up close and personal, having been hired by his daughter a mere six months ago, but I wasn't going to explain that to them.

"So you want to use me to work with him?" I asked, hoping I understood them properly "Yes, but we just need you to get close enough to kill him" one of his friends explained "Take him out so we can fill in the gaps left by his death" now they were speaking my language, "And why does this job require us to be dating?" I asked, curious seeing as they have yet to explain it "It'll assure your safety throughout most of the city" Jax explained with a slight flush to his face "I can assure my own safety thank you very much" I scoffed as one of his friends sighed right before I pointed at him "You, maybe you can explain better than your friend here" I said putting him on the spot as he stared at me wide eyed "John Argyle doesn't just work with women, he works with women he knows he can't have" he explained as I nodded along "So he just likes the chase then?" I clarified as he nodded "Very well then, but I can't work with you without knowing your names" I said as though it should've been obvious, which to me, it should've been. 

The one that had explained better than Jax, with his pretty blue eyes sighed as though he were already tired of my games "I'm Ares, and the twins are Zayden and Maverick" he introduced, motioning to the two who had yet to speak, they were nearly identical except one was much taller than the other, and one, Zayden, had yet to stop picking at his nails which were damn near bleeding. "It's nice to meet you" I grinned "So, when does this job start?" I asked curiously as they looked at each other as though they were conversing without ever saying a word "Now, if that's ok with you" Zayden said "Hmm no, but after school is fine" I said laughing at their eagerness "Are you going to fight us every step of the way?" Ares asked gruffly as I nodded "As much as I can" I had to keep it entertaining afterall. "Now off you go boys, I have things to do, people to kill and all that" I shooed them away with a smile as Maverick groaned before leading his friends away so I could eat in peace.