Doubts

The morning had started off with such promise, but as the day wore on, the cracks began to show. Max and Charles had been prepared for some backlash after the video went public, but nothing could have prepared them for the onslaught of negative comments and hurtful messages that flooded their social media feeds.

Charles, already frustrated by the constant scrutiny and judgment, found himself increasingly angered by the comments questioning the validity of their relationship. "Who cares who we love?" he exclaimed, throwing his phone onto the couch in frustration. "Why do people think they have the right to judge us?"

Max, normally the more composed of the two, couldn't help but feel the weight of the negativity pressing down on him. He had been prepared for this to some extent, but seeing the impact it was having on Charles was breaking his heart. "I know, babe," he said softly, wrapping his arms around Charles in a comforting embrace. "It's not fair, but unfortunately, it comes with the territory."

But what Max hadn't been prepared for was the text message that had come through on his phone earlier that morning. It was from Christian Horner, asking if they could talk as soon as possible. Max's heart had sunk the moment he saw the message, knowing exactly what Christian wanted to discuss. He hadn't told Charles about the text, not wanting to add to the weight already on his boyfriend's shoulders.

As the day wore on, Max found himself growing more and more anxious. The combination of the negative comments, Charles's frustration, and the looming conversation with Christian was proving to be too much. Doubts began to creep into his mind, questioning whether they were doing the right thing by going public with their relationship.

He tried to push the thoughts aside, focusing instead on comforting Charles and reassuring him that they would get through this together. But deep down, the uncertainty lingered, casting a shadow over what should have been a joyous time in their lives.

As evening approached, Max and Charles found themselves alone in their apartment, the weight of the day's events hanging heavily between them. They sat in silence, each lost in their own thoughts, as the reality of their situation began to sink in.

_____________

Max watched as the boys gathered their things, laughter and chatter filling the room as they prepared for their day out. He had been dreading this moment, knowing he would have to come up with an excuse to stay behind. With a sinking feeling in his stomach, he cleared his throat, drawing the attention of the group.

"Hey guys," he began, trying to keep his voice steady. "I'm not feeling too well today. Think I might have caught a fever or something."

Concerned glances were exchanged among the group, and Charles immediately stepped forward, his brow furrowed with worry. "Are you sure you'll be okay on your own?" he asked, reaching out to place a comforting hand on Max's arm.

Max met his gaze, seeing the genuine concern in his boyfriend's eyes. As much as he wanted to say yes and have Charles stay with him, he knew it wasn't fair to ask that of him. "I'll be fine, Charlie," he assured him, forcing a smile. "You guys go and enjoy your day. I don't want you wasting it cooped up inside with me."

Charles hesitated, clearly torn between wanting to stay with Max and not wanting to miss out on the day's plans. After a few moments of silent contemplation, he finally nodded, albeit reluctantly. "Alright," he said softly, leaning in to press a gentle kiss to Max's forehead. "But if you need anything, anything at all, just call me, okay?"

Max nodded, feeling a pang of guilt for lying to Charles about why he really wanted to stay behind. "I will," he promised, watching as Charles grabbed his things and joined the others, leaving Max alone in the apartment.