Ch6: Flickers of Hope

Previously:

"But dear," Sister Rosell turns to Elma and asks gently, "What did you see in Liana's memories that brought you to this condition?"

Elma looks at me warily as she answers,

"All I saw was blood, and f-fire everywhere. There was a lot of smoke and I saw my-her skin melting and burning in it."

..................................................................

"W-What?" Father's voice trembles with concern, his eyes darting between Elma and me.

"I told you! I saw myself as Liliana, burning in that big fire. And she wasn't even trying to escape! There was fire and smoke all around and-" Elma's voice falters, tears streaming down her cheeks as Sister Rosell enfolds her in a comforting embrace.

"Liana? What is she talking about?" Aiden's voice carries a mixture of confusion and worry, his gaze pleading for answers.

Amid the turmoil, I remain silent, my mind racing to find a solution to this unexpected revelation.

I can't let them know I reincarnated, I don't want them to bear that pain.

"Liliana, please answer Aiden," Father's voice is gentle yet firm, his eyes searching mine for reassurance.

"I-I, before I woke up, I had a really bad dream in which I was burning, and I couldn't move at all! It was really scary and felt so real. That's why I woke up crying," I explain, my voice trembling slightly as I recount that day.

Father listens intently, his expression softening with understanding as he nods in acknowledgment of my explanation.

He believed my lie.

"Liana, you could have told us, dear!" Sister Rosell's voice is filled with concern as she pulls me into a comforting hug, offering solace amid the unsettling situation.

Gradually, Elma's sobs subside in Sister Rosell's embrace, and as the others take their leave, only Elma and I remain in the room.

Lily also shares the room with us, but because of Elma's condition, she was moved to another one.

.............................................................................................

"Divine Saintess of the Emberland Empire,

Beneath thy celestial gaze, our spirits ignite,

As ember in the hearth, glowing ever bright,

Endow us with courage to brave the stormy seas,

And in our hearts, let hope forever seize.

May thy divine grace, like a phoenix, rise,

Above the ashes of doubt, where faith lies,

In the crucible of trials, let hope endure,

As a steadfast beacon, resolute and pure.

In thee, O Saintess, we find solace and peace,

As thy blessings, like gentle zephyrs, release,

Grant us resilience, as we tread the unknown,

And in thy divine mercy, may our strength be shown.

Hear our prayer, O Saintess, on wings of flame,

As we seek thy guidance, in thy hallowed name,

For in thee, our hope resides, forevermore,

Our beacon of light, on the distant shore.

Amen."

The morning prayer concluded, and Father gestured for the three of us to gather in the third room.

"I have called you three to discuss the academy and potential sponsorship opportunities," he began.

Elma's eyes lit up with anticipation. "I-I could go to the academy?" she exclaimed eagerly.

Father nodded his expression grave yet hopeful. "There are indeed chances, and I believe attending the academy would be beneficial for your future."

Aiden, however, seemed puzzled. "But why me, Father? I don't possess any magic-" he started.

"Someone informed me about your remarkable sword wielding skills and your aspirations to become an Imperial knight," Father interrupted, casting a meaningful glance in my direction.

Aiden's eyes widened in realization, and he turned to me with a questioning look. "You told him?" he asked incredulously.

So he wouldn't go unnoticed this time.

"It doesn't matter now," Father interjected, redirecting the conversation. "I've called you three here because there's a possibility that the Marquess of Hawthorne may sponsor one of you. I'll speak with him and see if he's willing to sponsor all three of you."

A flicker of hope brightened Aiden's expression as he absorbed Father's words. 

"He's visiting next week, so make sure to impress him. However, I must be honest - the chances of all of you getting sponsored are slim. I hope you understand," Father concluded with a note of caution.

We nodded in understanding as we prepared to depart. However, Father halted me and Elma before we could leave.

"These are library passes for the holy library," he said, handing us each a pass.

Grateful, we thanked him and made plans to visit the library.

"Where are you both off to?" Aiden inquired as we relayed the details of our conversation with Father. He nodded in acknowledgment as we bid him farewell and set off on our way.