Chapter 30

She did not believe him, but he couldn't blame her. Within a blink, he was gone.

Nothing but coldness engulfed her, and no hint of compunction was evident. She had worked for this; she had trained her mind for this. At least she could show him how she felt. Show him what it feels like to be unwanted. She wanted revenge.

If hurting myself could hurt him, why not?

~Why would you say that to him? He was genuine~ her wolf whimpered.

~I will not be swayed by beautiful words. They are nothing but a spit of hidden mischief.~

~You're the one who's lying to yourself.~

~I wish I am.~

The next two days were dreadful for her. He had intruded on her thoughts for a while, depriving her of sleep; his electrifying touch she longed to feel again, those luscious lips she dreamed of devouring once more. Just once...

She shook her head in refusal and laughed dryly.

"Damn you."

Her thoughts drifted to the culprit who poisoned her. She was stable now and wanted to wholeheartedly look for revenge. Whoever poisoned her would perish; she will make sure of that. Even though she was used to poisons, the one she had consumed was too much, which almost melted her internal organs. Someone wanted her dead, but who?

She sat in front of her doorway and gazed at the sunset. She sighs in contentment; she never imagined seeing it again.

She had never expected to have her senses back. She was contemplating whether she should be thankful or not.

A peony is in her hand. She held the stem gently and twirled it in place.

"So beautiful, yet so delicate."

~Just like you.~

"Yeah, maybe. I have reaped it, and now it's mine to keep."

~You can't keep that forever. It will wither.~

"We are not immortal. Of course we'll die."

~You know, that's not what I meant.~

"Yeah, I know. What I meant is that; I will not let anyone reap this flower."

~Huh? I think we're not on the same page.~

"Stupid wolf, do I have to explain?"

~Yes, because you're f-ing confusing sometimes.~

She laughed. "Oh, the good old days. I suddenly missed that sarcastic asshole." She longingly gazed at the horizon. "Like you said, I am like this flower. Will wither and die. Marcus was there for me and took care of me, even though he's a total prick. Because of him, we are alive. He's the only person I trust."

~We still have our mate, Zainne.~

She went silent for a few seconds. "You're right; we're not on the same page."

Evening came, as she unknowingly slept in the night. Maybe because she was tired, or maybe because something lulled her to sleep this time.

The sound of the crickets' songs, the hollow voice of an owl, the smell of fresh air, wet dirt, and grass. Maybe this lulled her.

A loud thud echoed in the dark forest; eyes glowed in the dark; and footsteps confidently crushed the grass and dead leaves, heading towards the main packhouse.

She groaned comfortably and continued to wrap her arms and legs around a muscled body, buried her face in a beating chest and sinfully breathed an enticing scent.