A Wilted Rose II (Rewritten)

.·:*¨ ¨*:·.Azriel.·:*¨ ¨*:·.

Azriel could barely speak in her presence, could barely breathe. The smell of her was intoxicating. Florals and honey. When he'd spoken, he'd startled her a little, causing her to flinch before she finally turned to face him. Azriel felt a shiver rising inside of him, following her gaze as she observed him for a moment. She stood, wiping the dirt from her gentle hands. Azriel noticed how pale she seemed. He hadn't seen her look so sickly since before the war, since Grayson. Azriel had to restrain his anger at the thought of the mortal man who had shattered her heart to pieces. He held his hand out to her, bowing his head.

"I apologise if I startled you."

Azriel felt a shot of heat shoot up his arm when she placed her soft, pale hand in his scarred, rough tanned one. He lowered his head, feeling his breath catch in his throat as he gently pressed his lips to the back of her hand. He felt her shiver and he lifted his gaze with a soft grin, hoping to ease the woman's nerves. He felt a warmth bloom in his cheeks when she returned the smile, his chest felt almost too heavy to breathe, the heavy weight of his feelings for her compressing his lungs. Azriel watched her dip her head in greeting, or maybe nervousness at Azriel's presence after so long of not seeing him. Her first words to him in two years were.

"I missed you."

Azriel's gaze shot up to meet her own at the true sadness in her tone, the remorse at having not seen the man in so long. His brows lowered with concern for her as he straightened his spine, still gently holding her hand in his own. He lifted his other hand to cup her cheek, but realised who he was speaking with and quickly retracted his hand, letting his arm rest at his side. He had to force out the words, finding himself speechless in her presence which was so enchanting even after so long apart.

"I missed you too, flower."

He felt his grin grow when he heard Elain softly chuckle at the nickname he had given her, that warmth in his chest only growing even more, threatening to consume him whole. Then he felt her squeeze his hand.

"Would you like to come in for some tea?"

Azriel froze for a moment. She was inviting him inside? He felt almost giddy at the concept but restrained his joy so as to not scare her. He gently nodded, squeezing her hand back, so gentle, so focused on trying to not accidentally harm her.

"I would love to."

•| ⊱✿⊰ |•Elain•| ⊱✿⊰ |•

Elain's hands were shaking as she poured the tea. She tried to dig deep into her memory and remember how Azriel liked his tea. No milk and two sugars, a sweet centre behind a guise of darkness. She chuckled at the irony. She then made her own. She'd been having her tea black a lot more often recently, the sweetness of the sugar making her ill. She carried the mugs over on a tray to the red velvet couch that she had directed Azriel to sit on.

"Two sugars, no milk?"

She asked, as if making sure she'd gotten it right. She knew she had, but she couldn't let Azriel know. She couldn't let him know how often the thought of him lingered in her mind, no matter how much she longed for him. The shadowsinger nodded and took his tea from the tray. He took a sip and smiled. Oh, how that smile made Elain's heart feel weak. She stood, too nervous to sit beside him. It had been hard enough for her when he had kissed her hand, but to sit beside him... she didn't think her poor heart could handle it. As she thought she barely noticed the feeling of a hand on her arm, guiding her to sit on the couch, only noticing when she was already sitting. The two sat in awkward silence, Azriel's hand lingering on her arm.

"I presume Lucien is away?"

Azriel spoke up first, Elain gently turning her head to look at Azriel. She nodded. Elain didn't think she would have invited Azriel inside if Lucien had been home, not that Lucien would have minded... until he saw the way his mate longingly gazed at the male beside her. Now, that.... Lucien would have most certainly minded that. Elain lifted her tea from the tray and took a small sip.

"He is... but you knew that."

She didn't look at Azriel as she spoke. Elain wasn't stupid or born yesterday. She knew Azriel had likely had a part in the meeting that had Lucien away on the continent, as Rhysand's spymaster. She felt Azriel shift closer, heard the sound of the fabric of his clothes move against the velvet of the couch.

"I did."

She continued to gaze down at the fabric of her dress. She couldn't look at Azriel right now, not without doing something she knew she would regret. She felt his hand leave her arm, watched it move to gently squeeze her thigh through the fabric of her dress. His voice was much closer when he spoke again.

"I did."