Chapter 26

Anne's POV

Anne was so glad to be heading home to Pinecrest with the children. The anticipation of seeing them reunited with their families shot through her veins. All ten of the orphans decided to stay in Greendale with the women who were looking for children.

Anne rode her horse close to the children, who were riding in carts pulled by horses.

Duke Ben's guards rode in a circle surrounding Arthur, who had his hands tied together in front of him.

"I'm innocent," Arthur said multiple times. "This is a misunderstanding. I'm being accused! I demand to be freed." But no one paid any attention to him.

Andrew steered his horse to ride by her side. 

"How are you feeling?" she asked him before he could say anything.

"I feel good."

"Do you feel any pain?"

"No pain. The ointment did what it's famous for."

This was what she would've said to him if she hadn't overheard his conversation with his father last night. It hurt that Andrew, an outsider, would be mayor of Pinecrest. But it shouldn't. She shouldn't be angry at him. It wasn't Andrew's fault. 

But it was hard to be angry when she noticed the way his face softened when he looked at her. 

"Are you happy to be going back to Pinecrest?" he asked.

"Yes. Are you?"

He smiled. "Yes."

Yes, of course you are. You 're about to become mayor.

"I know your parents were happy to see you again after a long time away from home."

"Yes, they were." His expression grew sad as he stared down at his horse's neck. "They've always been better parents to me than I deserve."

"Were you happy to see them?"

"Yes, of course. I told them I was sorry for defying my father and fighting with the Engeler Knights."

"Did they forgive you?"

"They forgave me as soon as they heard. They never hold grudges."

He looked so sorry. It was a terrible thing, and Andrew would have to deal with it for the rest of his life. But at least he wasn't like Arthur. Andrew was admitting what he had done. Arthur never admitted what he did was wrong. Even now after he'd been caught.

"You're not a bad person, Andrew."

He looked surprised at what she said.

"I mean, you're kind to children, you admit when you're wrong, and you respect other people's feelings and wishes."

"Does that mean you trust me?" He gave her a smile. "I know you trust me a little bit."

"Maybe. But only just a little bit."

"Were you worried about me when I got attacked by The Beast?"

"I was."

"Would you've been sad if I'd died?"

"You're teasing me."

His horse came closer. He reached out and touched her cheek with the back of his hand Her heart fluttered. Did anyone see what he was doing? Did he not care that all these men would be teasing him later? But maybe this public display meant... something.

Andrew's POV

Andrew rode next to Anne. What would happen to her now? 

Now that Arthur was out of the way, she could stay with her mother and not have to worry about him or his men harming her or anyone else. She wouldn't need him to protect her.

It didn't take very long to ride to Pincrest now that they weren't walking or having to carry the children. His father sent a couple of men ahead of them to announce that the children were coming home. 

When they went through the town gate, mothers and fathers ran to meet them, crying when they saw their child. Some of the children were crying too.

While the families were being reunited, Andrew went to help the guards bring Arthur to the jail. 

Andrew and another guard checked all the bars and the walls of the cell for anything that might help Arthur escape. Afterwards, they searched Arthur again for weapons, then locked him in the cell, leaving two guards to watch over him. 

As Andrew went to find Father and Anne, his chest felt heavy. They might never get to work side by side again. He might never be the one to protect her from harm. Would he ever get to see her smile again?

Anne's POV

Anne talked with the parents until all their questions were answered, then she and Duke Ben made their way to her house. While they walked, the Duke asked her questions. Who were the men she would recommend to serve in the town council? What did she think should be done with the mine? Anne answered all of his questions, thankful he was so interested in helping the town make a new beginning. 

When they arrived at Anne's house, Mother welcomed them at the door. When her eyes met Anne's, she broke into a teary smile and opened her arms.

Anne hugged her mother. 

"You're home. I was so afraid I lost you forever," Mother said.

"I'm so happy to see you again, Mother."

Mother stepped back to look at her.

"Mother, this is Duke Ben. And this is my mother, Catherine Martin."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Martin. You have a very brave daughter."

"I'm very proud of Anne. I'm sorry for what my husband has done. I know you have to appoint a new mayor, so I'll leave this house as soon as possible."

"You don't have to leave yet. I won't punish you for what your husband did. My men reported that there were five dead bodies in the mine, and I'm assuming they were all Arthur's guards."

"Yes, I'm sure they were, but I can identify them if you want," Mother said.

"I don't think that's necessary, but thank you for the offer. My men will bury them. Who else do you think might be left in the city who might want to hurt you or this town?"

"There were many guards who were loyal to Arthur, but I know one guard who was not loyal to him," Anne said. "His name is Charles."

Duke Ben sent his men to go find Charles. In the meantime, Anne gave the duke names of any other guards who might still be alive and in town, and he sent men to find them and bring them in so he could question them.

While they waited for Arthur's men to be rounded up, Anne and one of the duke's guards went to get the papers she hid in the tree outside of town. At the same time, Duke Ben went into Arthur's office and found more evidence. 

After a couple of hours, they question the guards that Anne suspected of being loyal to Arthur.

When Charles arrived, she noticed Andrew watching him, his eyes going back and forth between them. Was he jealous?

Charles went to Anne and said, "Anne, I'm so happy you're safe. Everyone is surprised at what Arthur did to the children, but so happy they are home, thanks to you."

"It wasn't just me. Andrew helped free them. I couldn't have done it without him."

Andrew met her gaze and smiled. "Anne is the one who found them. She deserves all the credit."

Her heart fluttered.

Duke Ben began to ask Charles his opinions about which guards shouldn't be allowed to guard Arthur.