♡1/3♡ // ¤《 jobless 》¤

Mike's throat welled, his eyes brimming with fresh tears through his attempts to keep composure. Vanessa gazed back at him with a softly empathetic set of eyes.

Mike felt like such a loser. He'd lost another job--even when he thought he'd been getting better. What was wrong with him? The man cleared his throat, taking in the deepest breath possible.

"It's just... hard, y'know? I don't know what the issue is, I always just manage to screw it up." He paused, glancing away with a discreet sniffle. To that, Vanessa replied:

"I... I hear you. I'm listening. Just talk, it'll make it better."

Mike hesitated. He genuinely didn't feel like he had that right--neither of them were ever particularly open with eachother. Maybe this could be a good time to develop that.

Finally opening his mouth to respond, Mike's larynx released nothing but a pathetic squeak. He forced through the closing of his vocal cords, for his mind was screaming at him to say something--anything. Practically prying his throat open, he murmured. "I have to provide for Abby. I've got to. And I don't know how I can do that. Not like this."

The man could feel Vanessa's eyes linger on him as he stared out at his glass table. His hands fidgeted with one another nervously, and he could feel his heartrate practically skyrocket as he heard her response.

"Mike, you're capable, okay? You'll find something. Don't ever think that you're alone in this, okay? Don't ever think you are." The woman paused, a small, encouraging smile curling at the edges of her lips. She looked as though she were tempted to say something further, but she went quiet.

Mike remained silent, tugging at the bottom of his dark blue hoodie. His leg bounced up and down where he sat, and he finally forced his eyes to meet hers.

"Thank you." Were the only two words that he could force to part from his mouth. "Thank you."

Before Mike could even process what was happening, Vanessa had stood from her own chair and moved behind his. She leaned down and moved him into a soft embrace, folding her arms over his collarbones, and Mike felt the tears that he had held back for so long finally begin to pour. He sunk defeatedly into her warmth and awkwardly placed his own arms atop of hers.

The woman began to sway lightly back and forth, briefly resting her nose atop of Mike's head. She whispered something unintelligible, the man feeling the hot breath of words and her lips against his scalp. After a moment, she shifted, letting her cheek sit on the spot where her nose had sat prior. She began to speak clearly again.

"Don't ever be afraid to ask me for help, okay? I'll always be here for you." She paused, her voice lowering into a soft whisper as she started swaying once again.

For a few minutes, they stayed like that. Mike didn't mind, but finally, she did pull away. With a final pat to his back, she straightened herself out again. Mike did the same, twisting to look at her.

"Do you wanna go for a walk?" She suggested, subtly easing the man up. "It'd be good."

"Uhm..." He started, beginning to stand. He crossed his arms and looked downward for a moment, feeling a bit uncomfortable. He had just cried his eyes out in front of this woman, but he couldn't exactly reject. "Yeah, sure."

Vanessa pushed his chair into the table and gestured for him to come on as she went towards the door.

Mike followed, sluggishly moving to meet her at the exit. Vanessa swung the door open with a creak and stepped out into the fresh air.