Chapter 53: Matrimony:

*****

"The frenzy of competition.

The thrilling delight of hazarding your all.

I am referring not to the lure of London's luxurious gaming halls but to a gamble with far higher stakes.

Matrimony.

For once that particular wager is placed, it cannot easily be undone."

*****

The next day.

Anthony sighed, sitting in the bathtub after dismissing the staff. He took out deep breaths, trying to calm his nerves. The scent of lavender filled the room.

All the while, Evelina woke up. She hummed, smiling to herself, as she rolled over, finding the bed empty. She sighed, patting the empty spot when she sat up. Most of the time, she woke up to see Anthony at his desk or anywhere but their shared bed.

"Jane?" Evelina asked, seeing her lady's maid, Jane, setting out her gown for breakfast.

"Yes, my lady?" Jane asked, stopping to look up at Evelina in her lavender nightgown.

"Do you know where the viscount is?" She asked, sighing as she cautiously stood up to put her slippers on.

"I believe he asked the staff to warm a bath, my lady." Jane said as Evelina smirked a bit.

"Thank you, Janie..."

Evelina smirked to herself when she walked in, seeing her husband leaning his back against the tub. It was quiet. All she could hear was his harsh breathing. His shoulders lightly went up and down. The smell of lavender covered the room.

"I did not know you were awake," Anthony said, turning to look at her when he heard her light footsteps.

"I woke up to an empty bed, once again..." Evelina slightly sighed, moving a stool over to him as she massaged his shoulders. "Then, Jane told me you requested a bath," she added, smiling a bit.

"What are you doing?" He asked, leaning his head back to look at her.

"It is an odd day." She smiled at him, kissing his cheek.

"Evelina..." He sighed, letting his eyes shut as she moved to kiss down his jaw. "I'm not sure—" He tried to stop when she sighed and stopped to look at him.

"My apologies, my lord... I just--" She went to apologize.

"Do not apologize, my dear." He stopped, turning to face her as he cupped her cheek. "Get in." He cheekily smirked, offering his hand to help her into the tub.

*****

"A fact which, I am sure, is met with both regret and sheer relief."

*****

A little bit later.

"For goodness's sake..." Eloise scoffed as she walked with Penelope and Elijah past Prudence, who was gushing about her wedding plans to other debutantes. "Anyone would think our siblings had beaten Napoleon himself on the battlefield instead of finding someone with whom to dutifully march down an aisle." She scoffed while Penelope smiled at her best friend's comment as Elijah walked on the other side of the girls, who had their arms interlocked.