07

𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐍𝐨 𝐎𝐧𝐞

Where did you buy those pills?!" she snapped impatiently.

I stumbled over my words as I tried to remember the name of the pharmacy where I had purchased the pills. Mom and I quickly hit the road, and as soon as we arrived, Mom wasted no time in scanning the peaceful surroundings.

"You," Mom said, pointing to a female worker. The girl looked taken aback as Mom accused her of selling abortion pills to me. The worker furrowed her brow, trying to recall the transaction.

"Sorry, ma'am, I don't remember selling to her. When did she buy?" she asked, typing on the computer. Mom urged me to speak up.

"Um...yesterday," I managed to stammer out.

"Ok..I'll check the computer," the girl said with a hint of annoyance in her voice. Just then, the woman who had sold the pills to me emerged from the back room, a curious expression on her face.

"What's all the ruckus about?" she asked, her eyes landing on me. A sly smile spread across her face as she recognized me. "Hey there. You're the one who came to buy those pills, right? Let me guess, you didn't tell your mom?"

I shifted uncomfortably, feeling the weight of my mom's disapproving gaze on me. She released my arm, her voice laced with disbelief. "You sold it to her?"

The woman nodded, a nonchalant shrug in her response. "But why? You must be a mother like me," my mom questioned, her anger palpable.

"I am, that's why I didn't sell it to her," the woman replied.

"What do you mean you didn't sell it to her?" My mom's voice rose in anger.

"Calm down. I didn't sell her the real pills. It was just a bunch of vitamins she took," the woman said defensively.

I felt a wave of relief wash over me. Thank God she didn't actually sell me the pills. Otherwise, my mom would have killed me and probably sued the innocent owner.

Mom let out a sigh of relief. "I'm sorry for causing a scene. It's just that-"

Before she could finish her sentence, the woman cut her off. "Don't worry, you don't have to explain. I have a daughter too. It's normal."

Just then, Freya, came out. "Who the hell are they, mom?" she sneered.

Hell no! Freya, the daughter of this sweet woman, was a total nightmare at school. I mean, seriously, whose genes did she inherit? Definitely not her mom's, that's for sure.

"It's just customers, Freya. Nothing to worry about," her mom said, trying to calm her down with a reassuring smile. But Freya just rolled her eyes and walked away, completely unbothered.

What a suck up.

As soon as we got home, I flopped onto my bed and buried my head in my pillow, letting out a scream of frustration. I yelled for a good five minutes before finally stopping, feeling the weight of everything that had gone wrong.

The baby was still in there. I pushed Ariana away. And Freya was still being a total brat. It was like everything was falling apart, and there was nothing I could do to stop it.