A X Running X Start

"Ugh... I'm not sure my social battery can handle this..."

To say that the sewer-like room that greeted our main characters was jam-packed was certainly an understatement. People of all shapes, colours, sizes and appearances panned out as far as the eye could see, dozens of hopeful hunters standing with a low buzz of light chatter sweeping through the air but one thing was clear: tensions were high and spirits perhaps higher.

M/N winced slightly; remembering the fact that many of them would be going home broken, disappointed or much, much worse. These negative thoughts were interrupted however when a certain overactive green-haired boy's voice raised above the idle talking softly filling the hall.

"Thirty fifth?!"

After collecting badge from an odd, bean-shaped figure and pinning the circular object neatly to display a '406' proudly emblazoned on it, M/N turned curiously to the source of Gon's surprise. A large, round man with a haircut that looked like it had been styled by a blind five-year-old with safety scissors was infecting the oxygen next to the three travelling companions with a grin etched across his stubbled features that would make the Cheshire cat jealous. Immediately, M/N sense he was up to no good (or maybe that was the eye-watering smell of Axe Body wafting from his direction)

M/N hesitantly approached the group just as the crusty hobo pulled out what looked like cans of fairy liquid mixed with mouldy oranges from who knows where.

"Oh yeah - he's definitely up to no good,"

At this point M/N decided that the trio he had just met were not the brightest people so gave up on waiting for them to figure it out themselves and instead tapped the greasy man lightly on the shoulder before wiping his hand hastily on his shirt.

Although there were many downsides to having an appearance that often scared people away before they had even talked to him, M/N did have to admit that there were certain times he was glad for his menacing aura and this was most definitely one of those times.

"Excuse me? Would you please let me have a drink as well? It's pretty hot in here and I would love to know what ingredients you put in before you resealed them,"

In the end M/N did feel slightly bad for Tonpa whose named he had learnt after Kurapika went over to thank him although not too bad as he had tried to drug his recent acquaintances so M/N thought it was best not to point out the growing damp patch on his crotch after he turned around to see a livid M/N staring daggers at him.

Gon approached him soon afterwards with stars in his eyes: "Wow, M/N! That was so cool! Do you think you could teach me to do that?"

M/N's face softened and he was just about to answer the energetic green-haired boy when he was rudely interrupted by a loud ring coming from the front of the hall as all eyes turned to face its source.

"As of now, registration is closed,"

The man who spoke had a slender build with his limbs hanging loosely and a long face adorned with a delicate moustache which covered his mouth in such a way it appeared as though he had no mouth at all. His hair was short and of a purplish shade with a certain bouncy quality to it - all in all, the new entry had such an unusual appearance it was alike to that of modern art.

"The hunter exam will now begin. Everyone ready? Good."

Immediately, a buzz of anticipation filled the air and a kind of tense excitement was easily sensed through all the examinees.

"This way, please."

The man who M/N now realised was the first examiner spoke clearly as he took a step off into the dark tunnel that had opened up before them as one by one the other applicants gradually snapped out of their dumb stupor and trailed after him.

M/N was quickly absorbed into the middle of the group as he found himself too tired from the prior traveling to concentrate on what he assumed were the rules being explained by the mysterious examiner who had taken his place at the head of the pack so he found himself instead taken in the appearances of those who surrounded him absent-mindedly. His eyes were first drawn to a bald man dressed oddly in some form of dark shirt with what looked like bowling balls for sleeves and a bright red neckerchief hanging loosely around him. M/N chuckled slightly at his comical expression before glancing around at a few other competitors.

After spending a few more minutes silently observing his neighbours, M/N eventually decided a fluffy, white-haired boy probably had the best outfit although his fashion sense was not the only thing that stuck out to him. He looked to be around Gon's age, M/N decided, with electric blue eyes and certain cat-like qualities but what was particularly odd was the strange sense of power about him. It was not like M/N felt intimated by this though - quite the opposite. It was as though there was a deep part of him that was itching to interact with this boy for some reason, to test him. To fight him. It was as though M/N could tell he had done the most terrible of things yet somehow this only intrigued him further.

Shaking his head, M/N snapped out of his thoughts as suppressed this unusual sensation before returning his gaze to the front and smiling to himself.

"Well that was certainly odd... at least this will be interesting I suppose... I do hope I won't have to hurt anyone though..."

Word Count: 938