• CHAPTER FOUR •

♬ ♫♬ ♫

Tara wears her new nightgown, the one she ordered online. White silk, thin straps, it hugs her curves and hangs down to her ankles. Tom stands in the shadows, illuminated only by the streetlight behind him. Tara can't see the expression on his face.

She doesn't need to.

"You called the police," he says.

"I did."

He steps forward, into her apartment. "A detective showed up at my office. My work."

Tara shuts the door behind him and follows him down the hallway. Tom turns abruptly, almost running into her. He places a hand against her chest; she steps backward until she hits the wall.

His face is so close to hers she can see his pupils.

Watches them dilate.

"It worked," she says. "Didn't it?"

Tom doesn't argue. He knows it's true.

Once you start crossing lines, the road back is too crooked, too difficult to follow. Easier to keep going forward.

He presses her against the wall. She feels the heat from his fingertips as he leans in close, his lips almost touching hers. His hand slides down, across the front of her nightgown, between her breasts, and stops at her waist.

She holds her breath.

He pulls his hand away.

Tom steps back and turns from her. She exhales hard.

"No," he says, shaking his head.

No.

Wes uses that word like it's a weapon. He also said it the last time she saw him.

Four months ago, at an engagement party in Sacramento. Tara knew Tom would be there, so she brought a date. James was a guy she had met online. He wasn't very bright but he looked good.

Very good.

The party was fancy; the bride and groom both worked in tech and had money to burn.

Open bar, fresh flowers everywhere, two different bands, and a never - ending flow of champagne.

And this was just the warm - up to the real thing: the wedding.

Tom brought a date of his own, a blonde with huge breasts and a too - small dress.

Vanessa or Veronica, or who the hell cares what her name was - she looked fantastic, and everyone knew it. But Tom seemed more concerned with the guy Tara brought.

They spoke once, near the buffet table, when he came up behind her.

"Tara."

"Tom." She said it before turning around, taking her time filling up a small plate with finger foods.

"How are you?" he had asked her.