III: A House Is Not A Home

Phoebe Bridgers, I Know the End

After a night of passing out under dim stars, on cold hard rocks (which Holly defended to be "reconnecting with nature"), the triad continued their trek, heading south in the unknown woods. The sun hid its flare today and the sky flaunted a deep cobalt blue as if weary as well. Yet the air was humid, albeit unmoving. Yesterday brought midsummer, today told torrent.

"You were pretty brave, by the way," Lacy turned to look at Mako. Her voice ever so serene.

This shocked the brunet whose lips formed into a crooked smile, careful not to show teeth. "Eh, it was either that or death!" Mako, at a loss, simply looked away.

He forced a laugh. "Plus, you did stuff too. We all did."
"Hm, you jumped on that thing's back. Twice."

That was true, he did do that. But Mako couldn't exactly explain why. Maybe it was pure instinct or a death wish, or something else. "W-well, thank you! Yeah."

"Thank you too, by the way. For helping Holly and me." The brunet regained his composure—at least attempted to as he matched Lacy's compliment. Mako's eyes dropped to where Lacy's dress ripped after she bandaged Holly's palm abrasion. Besides giving cushion from the stick's rough bark that Holly relied on to walk, the fabric provided reassurance too.

"It's not much, really. I mean, she needed help," Lacy shrugged.

"Heh." Mako redirected his gaze to Holly. "Still. Thanks for that. If it wasn't obvious, she's pretty stubborn." He chuckled at his own gentle diss.
ㅤㅤ"I heard that," Holly abruptly spoke.

Mako's figure stiffened, caught off guard by Holly's voice. "I know. Obviously."

"And you really are!" he doubled down.

Holly rolled her eyes. "You are too. You know that, right?" Though, despite her impudent tone, the redhead wasn't mad at her friend's perceived snarky remarks.
ㅤㅤ"Hmm, everyone is a little stubborn if you think about it!"