chapter one

A knock was heard on the door of my sleeping quarters. A soft female voice is all that came from the other side “sir Francis? It's time for you to wake up. We have guests today.” It was Clara Montgomery, the only oblivious person on this estate. She was quite new and was assigned to be my personal maid. “Five more minutes” I mumble, snuggling more into my blanket. I expected her to go away but my door was quickly swung open. “My lord, you must not wallow away in your quarters the whole day, you must get out of bed, cleanes, and dressed.” My other maid, Beatrice said as she scolded me. “You must not take advantage of Clara since she is new.” Beatrice told Clara to grab an outfit for me to wear, while she force me out of my bed.

I grounded and complained. “It's too early” she didn't listen as she pulled me into the washroom and made me strip and get inside of the tub. She filled it with water. “No bubbles?” I questioned as I always got bubble baths “bubble baths are for boys who behave, and plus the soap should make it bubbly” she started washing my hair, scrubbing at my scalp. It felt like it was gonna bleed.

“Beatrice?” I tried to get her attention, she only hummed in response. “Do you think…. maybe….my brother, Henry could take over the family business?” She stopped scrubbing my hair and looked at me “I just feel like I'm missing something, that something is my purpose.”
“My lord, the family business is what you are meant for, it's your purpose. So why try and find it when you are aware of what it is?” she asked, as she doesn't know why I am so resilient to be the heir to the business. “But, you've always been a difficult child, and whatever you want you always found a way to get your hands on it.” She softly smiled as she rinsed my hair of the soap.

-after bath-

Beatrice was telling Clara step by step how to dress me, how to brush my hair, and how to make my bed. For Beatrice is my older sisters maid and will not be mine for much longer.

After getting dressed, Clara and Beatrice followed me down the hallway and into the vestibule, the guests Beatrice mentioned was already here.
“Sorry to keep you all waiting, we have a new maid and I decided it would be the perfect opportunity to show her how to wake the young Lord.” Beatrice bowed. Clara clumsily followed her actions.

I walked up next to my father and I bowed. I didn't want to look at the guest for I knew that this place is the last place they will ever set foot in. For tonight is the night they die.

“Well! Since my son decided to show up, Finally, I say we talk in the parlor until the other guests arrive shall we?” he motions for them to follow him. I just stood there, I wasn't aware of more guests. Nights like these we only have one guest.

It felt like forever, waiting on the the guest. I sat next to my father as him and the guest chatted away, talking about business, I wasn't paying attention though. Improper of me yes I know, I just couldn't dare pay attention when we have a lot of people's life at steak. I brought out of my daze when my father said something that made me curious.

“So, your a police officer who is on a case for a cult, hmmm?” I could see the sweat drops rolling down his face by just how nervous he was. “Yes, and I think it's time for me to take my leave.” The man got up and started walking to the door when my dad snapped his fingers. The door shut and the person who closed the door was Beatrice. “I'm sorry sir but you are not permitted to leave” she did a little curtsey and pulled out a butcher knife.

“you see, no one has ever gotten this close to finding us out, and if someone did they would just disappear.” My dad glanced at me while he said this “Francis, you are the heir to the business, how about you take out your first kill!” He was acting like it was a learning experience. “Father…..I…..” I could only choked on my words as the man and my father stared at me, one with fear and one with anticipation. “I can't! I won't do it!” I screamed. I can see the annoyance on my father's face.

I could only cower when he started walking towards me.

It was too quick for me to process right away, but the stinging in my face is what gave me an idea what had happened. Tears fall down my face as it was directed to look up at my father, him squeezing my cheeks, I took a second to glance at the man, he looked shocked and enraged. “My son, you are the future of this family. You are the chosen one” my father said “so why must you be so stubborn all the time!” “I flinched at his yelling.

He then shoved a knife in my hands and pushed me towards the officer. “I won't give you another chance, BOY, kill him.” I glanced down at the knife and at him. Tears almost as big as a rock streamed down my face. “NOW!!” I griped harder onto the knife as he yelled. I began to walk slowly to the officer, he just looked at me. He didn't have the eyes of hatred like he had towards my father, but it was a look of pity. He knew I didn't want to, he knew I was innocent.

He let me stab him.

He gripped onto my arms as I dug the knife deeper into him. He soon couldn't stand and went to the ground, I helped him not fall. I layed him down on the ground as he looked up at me, blood coming out of his mouth.

My father had walked out of the room by now.

“Please…my niece….. she's eight this year. Please give her this locket.” He pulled out a golden locket, the name ‘Elizabeth’ “tell her that her uncle loved her” those were his last words as his life had finally slipped out of him.

This is basically like an anime opening for this book
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• had to cut it in half so continuation next chapter