Dinner Conversations

Qui-Gon, Padme, Jar Jar, and R2 move out into the street. Jar Jar is walking behind the others. They walk by an outdoor cafe filled with a rough gang of aliens, one of which is especially ugly, Sebulba, a spider-like creature. Jar Jar stops for a moment in front of a stall selling dead frogs hanging on a wire. He looks around to see if anyone is looking, then sticks out his tongue, and gets hold of one, pulling it into his mouth. Unfortunately, the frog is tied tightly to the wire. The vendor suddenly appears. The vendor, tells the hungry Jar Jar  “Hey, that will be seven truguts!!“

Jar Jar opens his mouth in surprise, and the frog snaps away, ricochets around the market, and lands in Sebulba's soup, splashing him. As Jar Jar moves away from the vendor, Sebulba jumps up on the table and grabs the hapless Gungan. Sebulba, “Chuba!! (You!!)”

Jar Jar, “Who, mesa??”

Sebulba, “Ni chuba na?? (Is this yours??)”

Sebulba holds the frog up to the Gungan threateningly. several other creatures start to gather. Sebulba shoves Jar Jar to the ground. The Gungan desperately tries to scramble to safety. Jar Jar, “Why mesa always da one??”

Anakin walks over, “Because you're afraid.”

Jar Jar turns to see Anakin pushing his way next to him. The boy stands up to Sebulba in a very self-assured way. Anakin, “Chess ko, Sebulba...Coo wolpa tooney rana. (Careful, Sebulba...This one's very connected.)”

Sebulba stops his assault on Jar Jar and turns to Anakin. Sebulba, “Tooney rana nu pratta dunko, shag. (Connected?? Whada you mean, slave?)”

Anakin, “Oh da Hutt...cha porko ootman geesa...me teesa rodda co pana pee choppa chawa. (As in Hutt...big time outlander, this one... I'd hate to see you diced before we race again.)”

Sebulba, “Neek me chowa, wermo, mo killee ma klounkee (Next time we race, wermo, it will be the end of you!) Una noto wo shag, me wompity du pom pom. (If you weren't a slave, I'd squash you right now.)”

Sebulba turns away. Anakin. “Eh, chee bana do mullee ra. (Yeah, it'd be a pity if you had to pay for me.)”

Qui-Gon, Padme and R2 arrive at the scene. Anakin greets them saying, “Hi! Your buddy here was about to be turned into orange goo. He picked a fight with a Dug. An especially dangerous Dug called Sebulba.”

Jar Jar says, “Nosir, nosir. Mesa hate crunchen. Dat's da last ting mesa wanten.”

Qui-Gon sighs, agreeing with the young slave boy, “Nevertheless, the boy is right...you were heading for trouble. Thank you, my young friend.”

Padme looks at Anakin and smiles; he smiles back. They start walking down the crowded street. Jar Jar continues, “Mesa doen nutten!”

Anakin, “Fear attracts the fearful. He was trying to overcome his fear by squashing you be less afraid.”

Padme asks, “And that works for you?”

Anakin smiles a mischievously a smile, that he picked up from his older cousin, “To a point.”

Anakin and the group stop at a fruit stand run by a jolly, but very poor, old lady named Jira. Anakin, “How are you feeling today, Jira?”

Jira, “The heat's never been kind to me, you know, Annie!”

Anakin, “ Guess what? I've found that cooling unit I've been searching for. It's pretty beat up, but I'll have it fixed up for you in no time, I promise.”

Jira, “You're a fine boy, Annie. Where’s Percy?”

Anakin replies, “I think he is serving Gabe and his friends tonight. If he doesn’t help his mom they both get punished. Anyway, I'll take four pallies today. You'll like these.” Anakin reaches in his pocket and comes up with three coins. He drops one.