Takeouts and sleepovers

Nayla was drowning

Her limbs and wings have failed her.  A faint light flickered through the surface as her arms desperately tried to get her to the surface. She felt heavy. But she'll be damned if she drowned.

With a greedy gasp her head finally reached the surface. Swimming became easier as she lapped towards the light source. It was deathly dark. She swam till her toes brushed the floor of whatever water body she was in.

The faint light now shining more lively than before, It shone from a familiar structure. Nayla’s home. Unnerved, her heart started beating faster. She turned back to look at the water for it to seem red. Blood red.

Panic. Nayla's brain was left blank as her heart worked overtime. She sprinted towards her house. Her bare feet leaving bloodstained footprints on the floor. She stood in the living room. Her head spinning as the room stretched and unfolded itself at least tenfold its size.

She couldn't see them. Her grandparents are gone.

"No, please not again not again." She mumbled as her hands flew to her mouth imprison her sobs.

A figure appeared infront of her. Cloaked head to toe in red. It t’sked at her, "Poor Nayla, always late."

Nayla woke up with a gasp. Hand clutching her heart. A fruitless attempt to keep it caged in its place. Her breath was shallow and strained. She picked up her phone from her bedside table. 03:26 am. Thursday, January 24th.

The dimly lit corridors held an unsettling vibe. It was silent. Just what she needed. She headed to the training room, determined to destroy as much punching bags as she could.

Hit after hit, punch after punch, Nayla started feeling lighter. The utter despair is what kept her going. She couldn't save them, if she didn't take those after school activities, she would have saved them. She would have been there at time. I wasn't even on time to save them in my OWN dream.

A final roundhouse kick sent the bag hurdling towards the other side of the room. The seventh punching bag now deemed useless.

"NAYLA!"

Ned interrupted the girl's therapeutic stare into the oblivion. Her friends noticed her indulging more than often in her thoughts. Often her faraway gaze never-ending. "So we were planning on having a sleepover this weekend while you were practicing your silent meditation." MJ said as she closed her sketchbook and turned to put it back in her bag. "I am not sure if I will come." Nayla replied. She was not in the mood for every day teen activities, in matter of fact she was in the mood to rip a certain individual into shreds. "Come on Nayla we will build lego sets then watch movies and play games, it will be really fun." Ned attempted to persuade her with his poor attempt at puppy dog eyes, which pushed her more to disliking the idea. "PLEASE NAYLA I WOULD DO ANYTHING JUST SAY YES." Peter practically begged, the entire lunch table looking at her with glints of hope in their eyes. Now this is what you call irresistible puppy dog eyes. She finally caved in.

Walking down the school hallways still deep in thought, Nayla thought about all the wrong choices she made. About all the wrong wretched paths that she took. Some part of her hated herself for it, but the most part wanted to never do that mistake again. Maybe if she gave her grandparents a warning, it would have spared them their lives. Glancing at MJ, she could not let her friend go through any harm in case her identity gets leaked. Ned had Peter, but who did MJ have to protect her back? She has to know what to do if any suspicious activities are taking place around her.

Nayla grabbed MJ and led her to the bathroom, checking to make sure that the stalls are empty. "Why did you shove me into the bathroom like that? Are you trynna sell me drugs?"
"Shut up MJ and let me talk." Nayla interrupted. "Listen you are my friend and I don't want anything to happen to you, especially because of me. I can't let the price of my secret be your safety."
"Nay what are you talking about? This better not be a joke." MJ took a step forward concerned as to what could be burdening her friend this much. "No it isn't M. I got powers and I intend to keep my identity a secret, but that won't guarantee that it will always stay that way. So please MJ if you feel that anything is wrong do not hesitate to tell me. I will be there in time." The more Nayla went on the more confused MJ became. To ease the confusion with more confusion Nayla let her illusion slip through.