Chapter 1 Abomination

This world is cruel and ruthless; you must be rougher and willing to throw away senseless morals to survive and thrive. Or that's what his mother always said. Why was it always in moments of darkness that these memories decided to enter his mind? Maybe it had a ring of truth to it. In actuality, those words were ones to live by, and as much as the young mage hated to admit it, he abided by them ever since he started his service to Queen Cina. Bloodshed and carnage were becoming the norm; hell, they had always been. His great magic made him one of the most efficient soldiers in Cina’s care. She, of course, used him as a shield but also a blade. He was truly her greatest tool, a completely loyal monster with practically limitless potential. Sure, there was risk related to keeping him, but it wasn't like the woman was unfamiliar with said risk. After all, the only reason she was queen was because of him. Using his power, she was able to seize control over the kingdom, ruling with an iron fist. Her vision was now a reality. In all honesty, Havoc believed in some sort of way the kingdom was better off now than it had been before. That's why he kept fighting, to help achieve her dreams, even if his own may be impossible. At least he could help make Cina's come true, even if he had to become one. What did it matter anyway? He already was one.

Havoc awoke early. His chambermaid stood above him with a washcloth. She was pale and looked worried as she spoke in a soft, feminine voice. Her scarlet red hair and brown eyes complemented one another in a symbiotic way. “You slept barely; your wounds healed, though as they normally would. You really need to stop using so much of your life force. Yes, it regenerates at night, but you also are in a constant state of agony and nightmares. If you keep this up, you'll—” The woman stammered; it was hard to admit the truth of the young guardian's fate. The corruption was spreading quickly. If he were to simply stop using so much magic, it could heal and be fixed. But due to the tendency Havoc had of sticking himself in bad situations, whether it be protecting the weak or serving his ruler, that solution could hold no ground. Havoc slowly got up, nodding his head to Icor with a light, half-hearted smile. “I'll try not to overdo it today, but I make no guarantees. Though we are gonna be in a tough fight today, the enemy has mobilized, and I may be forced to use my full strength. I'll try to avoid it though, for your sake.” Icor frowned but then sighed, smiling a bit softer. “Fine, but don't you dare come back dead, Master Havoc. It gets so boring here without you.” Havoc chuckled and stood. His body shimmered with darkness as voidal magic settled into his very veins. The feeling was splendid, warm, and powerful. He quickly stretched, extending his body at an angle that brought him some comfort as shadows rose up, coating his body, tearing away the fabric of his clothes and replacing it with shadows weaving themselves into armor and clothes. In seconds, he was completely suited in black armor with fresh clothes underneath. This was one benefit of being the type of mage he was: the access to any natural element. He understood the compound of molecular reconstruction; it was what it had been deemed. He simply called it Material creation or Shadowmancery. Icor chuckled. “One of these days, you're gonna flash someone when you do that.” Hav grinned sheepishly. “You would most likely be the one, considering I do it every morning in your presence, and you barely ever look away.” In reality, such an idea was semi-impossible, considering he used the shadows in such a way they coated his body completely. But the joke had always been funny nonetheless. “It's ironic; I’ve been in your service longer than anyone else, and never have I felt treated as anything less than an equal,” Icor spoke in her usual warm tone, but the words sent Havoc on edge. “You're my servant, yes, but you deserve basic respect like I give you. You've been nothing but understanding of all my servants; you treat me the best. So, yes, I see you as an equal to an extent,” he responded in a hollow tone. Clearly, his mind was wandering to darker thoughts, ones built from the nightmares he had endured under Queen Cina's chains. Her iron grip restricted him so much, but he never resisted. It was ironic; the symbol of rebellion was nothing but a dog under the queen's control. “I must get going now, Icor. Take care of the wolves while I'm gone; I shall return soon.” Icor nodded her head, sighing softly as Havoc walked into a shadow. It quickly consumed his entire body in seconds, engulfing him as he vanished into thin air. “Be careful, Master. Don't die on me yet; it's only a matter of time until it's complete.”