I miss you

As raindrops fell on the windshield, James' grip tightened around the steering wheel as he sat beside Ophelia, lost in his own thoughts, until Ophelia's voice shattered the silence.

"Oh shit, it's raining," she murmured, her tone heavy with a mix of resignation and dread.

James glanced out the window, the sound of raindrops tapping against the glass echoing in the confined space of the car. "Oh yeah, it's raining cats and dogs," he replied absentmindedly, his mind drifting back to the task at hand.

But for Ophelia, the rain brought with it memories she couldn't escape. With a sudden jolt, she was transported back to that night, the night everything changed.

---Flashback---

The bus rumbled along the rain-soaked highway, the darkness outside pierced only by the occasional flash of lightning. Ophelia's voice cut through the dull hum of the engine as she addressed her friend, Rodeth, who seemed intent on confronting the bus driver.

"Rodeth, where are you going?" she called out, her voice tinged with worry.

Rodeth turned to face her, determination etched on his face. "I think the driver is dozing off. Let me go wake him up," he replied, his voice firm with resolve.

But before Ophelia could protest, her attention was drawn to the glare of headlights in the distance, bearing down on them with alarming speed.

"Rodeth, no!" she screamed, her heart lurching in her chest as she realized the danger they were in.

A deafening crash shattered the night, the sound of metal against metal echoing through the air. Sirens wailed in the distance as chaos erupted around them.

"Rodeth, don't leave me, please," Ophelia pleaded, her voice trembling with desperation. "I didn't get to tell you how I feel."

But her words were lost in the chaos, swallowed by the cacophony of the night.

---Present---

Back in the present, Ophelia's fingers traced the outline of a necklace dangling from her neck, a simple ring nestled within its delicate chain. She whispered into the darkness, her voice barely above a whisper.

"Did you have to leave, Rodeth?"

James's gaze softened as he watched her, a silent understanding passing between them. But before he could respond, Ophelia's thoughts were interrupted by James's familiar banter.

"Jeez, you look like a raccoon," he remarked teasingly, his attempt to lighten the mood falling flat.

Ophelia shot him a glare, the weight of her grief mingling with frustration. "Did you not go home again yesterday?" he retorted. Ophelia's hand shot out, landing a playful but firm slap on James's arm.

James winced at her slap his attempt at levity backfiring spectacularly. "No one will want to marry an aggressive person like you," he quipped, his tone tinged with sarcasm.

"Excuse you, I have many people who want to marry me," Ophelia shot back, her voice laced with defiance.

"They must be abnormal then," James retorted, his words joking.

. "You want to get hit again or what?" she warned, a hint of amusement dancing in her eyes despite the heaviness of her heart.

James held up his hands in surrender, a sheepish grin spreading across his face. "Sorry, sorry. By the way, we don't have to get the warrant now," he offered, trying to steer the conversation back to their original purpose.

But Ophelia shook her head, her resolve unwavering. "No, we do. I think we might need it soon," she replied, her voice steady with determination.

James sighed in exasperation, his frustration evident. "Ugh, you're always guessing," he muttered under his breath.

But Ophelia remained resolute, her gaze fixed on the road ahead as the rain continued to fall, a silent reminder of the night that changed everything.
As the car pulled up outside the Judge's house, Ophelia stepped out into the rain, her umbrella held firmly in hand. She was greeted by Therdo, the Judge's acquaintance, who seemed surprised by her late-night visit.

"Here for dinner?" Therdo asked, raising an eyebrow inquisitively.

Ophelia shook her head, the raindrops pattering against her umbrella. "No, I'm on duty," she replied curtly, her tone leaving no room for further questioning.

Therdo seemed taken aback by her response. "At this hour?" he questioned, his curiosity evident.

"I don't work at fixed times," Ophelia explained simply, her gaze unwavering.

Therdo nodded understandingly. "Want my help to get the warrant?" he offered, extending a hand of assistance.

Ophelia's eyes widened slightly in surprise at his unexpected offer. "If you can, that would be great," she admitted, gratitude colouring her voice.

Therdo paused for a moment, a mischievous glint in his eye. "In return, can you..." he trailed off, a playful smirk tugging at his lips.

In her mind, Ophelia braced herself for the worst. "If this jackass asks about marriage, I will hit him," she thought, steeling herself for whatever was to come.

But Therdo surprised her once again, his next words catching her off guard. "Can you go for dinner with me?" he asked, his tone teasing but genuine.

Ophelia blinked in surprise, momentarily at a loss for words. Before she could formulate a response, Therdo continued, his voice laced with amusement. "What did you think? I was gonna ask you to marry me again?" he joked, a playful twinkle in his eye.

Ophelia felt a flush of embarrassment rise to her cheeks as she struggled to find the right words.

"I—" she began, but Therdo cut her off with a knowing smile.

"Don't worry, you don't have to say anything. Let's go," he said, taking the lead and knocking on the Judge's door.

A voice from inside called out, "Who is it?"

Therdo responded confidently, "It's me, Therdo."

The door swung open to reveal the Judge standing at the entrance, a welcoming smile on his face.

"Hello there, Therdo. How are you?" the Judge greeted warmly, stepping aside to allow them entry. "Meet my daughter—"

But before the Judge could finish his introduction, Therdo interjected smoothly.

"Sorry, Sir, but I need to ask for help. Could you help my girlfriend over here? She needs a warrant," Therdo explained, gesturing towards Ophelia.

Ophelia's eyes widened in shock at the sudden declaration, her mind reeling from the unexpected turn of events.

The Judge nodded understandingly. "Of course, Therdo," he replied, his demeanour shifting to one of helpfulness.

Therdo flashed a grin at Ophelia, his eyes twinkling with mischief.

"Alright, I will take my leave then. Thank you for inviting me, but I am already planning to marry someone else," he said with a wink, before turning to leave.

A mixture of his eyes twinkled mischievously as he took Ophelia's hand and led her out of the house.

"Call me when you're free, then we can go for dinner," he added, his tone light as he disappeared into the night, leaving Ophelia standing there, stunned by the unexpected turn of events. With a smile playing on her lips, she turned to head back to the car, eager to see what the future held.