Benjamin Schreiber

Benjamin Schreiber

-Convicted of First-Degree murder-

This morning when I woke up, I had no idea who Benjamin Schreiber was or why people were talking about him; but thanks to a scroll through twitter, I came across this person and was intrigued enough to learn their story. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed.

I was appalled to learn that Benjamin Schreiber wanted to be released from prison because of something that happened to him. He 'died' and was resuscitated, making him believe that it meant he had served his sentence of life in prison. However, his request for a release was denied; but I'm getting a head of myself here.

Let's take a look at what Benjamin did to earn himself a view through prison bars, as according to google and various articles I found in my search this morning.

In July of 1996, Benjamin Schreiber conspired with the (then) girlfriend of John Dale Terry, to end the life of John, who was about 39 years old at the time. Schreiber's chosen method of murder was to brutalize the body of Terry by bludgeoning him to death with the wooden handle of a pickaxe, leaving his body beside an abandoned trailer in Agency, Iowa.

Shortly before the murder of Terry, Schreiber had gone out drinking with Terry and a few other acquaintances, according to authorities. A witness told investigators "Terry was struck, severely injured and left at the scene."

Upon further research I found out that the weapon Schreiber used was tossed out of the driver's side of a vehicle. The weapon was then found the next day by authorities, covered in blood and hair, in a town 95 miles Southeast of Des Moine, according to officials.

It wasn't until 1997 that Schreiber was found guilty of murder in the first degree and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Now, let's flash forward to the day this monster 'died'.

As far as I can see, Schreiber's so-called death happened on March 30th of 2015 when he briefly 'died' due to complications as a result of Kidney stones. It is said that Schreiber went into septic shock in his cell, rendering him unconscious.

He was taken to the hospital where he was revived using a combination of epinephrine and adrenaline which was allegedly given to him through an IV.

Because of all of this, Schreiber now feels like he has served his life sentence and in April of 2018, he filed for a post-conviction relief where he claimed that he was in prison illegally. He said that his sentence was supposed to end with his death which happened three years prior when his heart stopped.

Personally, I'm not convinced on his reasoning, and neither were the Iowa courts.

Both the lower court and appeals court judges were not having it. According to them, "Schreiber is either still alive, in which case he must remain in prison, or he is actually dead, in which case this appeal is moot.

This means that Schreiber is still currently behind bars, despite trying to fight and overturn his conviction.

I also want to note that the courts have ultimately ruled that Schreiber's 'death' does not acquit him of his life sentence.

-

Having all this knowledge about the case and what led to Schreiber thinking he can walk free; I can honestly say that he is where he should be.

Simply put, if you commit a crime of any kind, you have no choice but to suffer the consequences of your actions, no matter how harsh you feel they may be and no matter how many times you've 'died' and had to be resuscitated.

I'm curious though, what are your thoughts on all of this? Should he get to walk free?

---

Writer's Disclaimer: By no means am I a professional Journalist, researcher or reporter. I am just someone that finds true crime interesting and enjoys learning about what make people tick, specifically criminals.

If you see any information in this write up that you know to be incorrect or you think I could explain better, please let me know and I will do my best to fix whatever it is.

Also, if you are curious to know what articles I read and what other information I found, please let me know and I can attempt to send you all that I have in my possession at the moment.