Chapter Ten

In the following three cycles on Tython, Obi-Wan gradually acclimated to the atmosphere of the temple. He could often be found traversing its halls and corridors, acquainting himself with its layout and intricacies. His interactions with Leilani and Nia were limited, confined to formalities and occasional briefings with the Council. Despite spending time in their company, their exchanges remained superficial, devoid of personal connection or depth.

Initially reluctant to stay, Obi-Wan found himself bound by the Senate's orders. Alongside Anakin, his duty now involved escorting Leilani and other joining senators to Coruscant aboard the Coronet - while Leilani travelled to plead her case.

A Jedi standing in the Senate...it seemed absurd to him, comical even.

Yet upon learning of the line of succession and Countess Jenza's demise, the Chancellor insisted on Leilani's return to Coruscant. His aim was to dispatch Republic forces to her planet and place it under her governance; forcing Dooku on the run.

"I'm a Jedi, Nia," she sighed for the hundredth time, her frustration palpable. "The rules forbid Jedi from taking political stances, let alone speaking in the Senate. And for the sake of the Tirra'Taka, I am no diplomat-" These words were not meant for Obi-Wan's ears, yet he found himself drawn to the main hall by the intensity in Leilani's voice. "Politicians spend years training, honing their rhetoric, practise speeches, and whatever else they need to do. While all I have ever done is listen to the will of the Force, duel, and lead troops into battle. I'm no good at any of this."

"Isn't this the will of the Force?" Her Padawan asked. "I mean...you, going to Coruscant; you have always told me that nothing happens without a reason."

"I'm not so sure anymore."

Her connection to the Force felt strained now; where once she could easily discern the right path, now she felt lost. There was a void, a disconnect that left her feeling adrift. And she found herself having a sudden, unexpected, overpowering and entirely distressing bad feeling about this.

Expecting and growing up with the weight of politics was never a trouble; only now, when the realities hit hard - had she felt stranded. The possibilities poisoned her mind, and perhaps for once, she didn't see the way out. All she knew was that she couldn't let this happen.

Obi-Wan politely walked away from the door, just as the comm sign came in.

It was time for them to go.

"Commander Raze will oversee your training until we return, Nia. But please, no unnecessary shenanigans until I am gone. I want to find the temple as it is now," Leilani told Nia, as they walked out to the landing deck. Not that she took any pleasure of leaving her Padawan alone, yet again; but it seemed the devil's circle was never ending - while she was glad that Nia wasn't going to witness her Senate gatherings.

"Of course, Master," Nia nodded.

Joined by Anakin, Obi-Wan and Captain Blaze moments later, she walked onto the ship, with only a last glance over her shoulder.

Reluctantly, Leilani ascended to the upper level alongside Senators Camadam Tanner, Aang, and Vivyn. While below, the other two Jedi briefed the troopers, a routine task now including her own contingent. It all seemed highly unnecessary; two clone captains and a clone commander staying guard, accompanied by roughly twenty troopers. All this fuss over protecting a Jedi General who, by all accounts, was more than capable of fending for herself.

As they settled into their seats on the upper level of the ship, Senator Tanner raised a point of concern. "General, forgive me for being frank, but isn't it unwise for a Jedi to entangle herself in political affairs? Your return from the Confederacy, especially considering the associations with your homeworld, raises questions."